Author Topic: Tonkin arrows with Bodkin points  (Read 6104 times)

Davesea

Tonkin arrows with Bodkin points
« on: October 17, 2013, 02:12:46 pm »
Just built these.  Bodkin 9/32" points, white turkey feathers and one barred natural feather 4", All matched at 400 grains. 29 BOP.  Spined for 35-55 lb bow since Bamboo has a wide range of spine tolerance.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tonkin arrows with Bodkin points
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 02:17:09 pm »
Nice clean work. Those bodkins are nice, but pricey!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Scottski

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:26:45 pm »
I like those. Very nice arrows.
Did the Native Americans think about all this that much or just do it?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:33:07 pm »
Nice arrows! Try putting a blob of fletching cement on the leading edge of your feathers. It keeps them from lifting and also from cutting up your hand or arrow pass/shelf while shooting.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:38:44 pm »
Nice arrows.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 11:34:03 pm »
Where'd you get your shafts if I may ask? I want to try cane/ bamboo but don't have any access.
Springfield, MO

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 03:58:37 am »
WOW Those are beautiful, how'd you manage to get the nodes smoothed out so well if you don't mind my asking?
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 09:07:46 am »
Beautiful arrows,I love them points,started using them on all my practice arrows last year and love the looks and the way they fly. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 09:12:59 am »
Nice looking arrows.   I like the rear of your fetching, kinda straight down to the shaft, but worry they may be noisey.   Are those ace points like the ones sold by 3rivers?   Sharp looking!!! 
Russ

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:09 am »
Nice arrows! Try putting a blob of fletching cement on the leading edge of your feathers. It keeps them from lifting and also from cutting up your hand or arrow pass/shelf while shooting.

I will dab a bit of glue in front of the quill and then wrap all of them with fly tying thread, then smear glue over the thread wrap. makes for a real even transition from shaft to fletch
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Davesea

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
I have a supply of Tonkin arrow shafting that I planned to use for youth arrows, however what I ordered came in to stiff for youth bows.  So if anyone one wants to try some tonkin shafts let me know with a PM.   I can weight match them too if you prefer.

The Bodkins are 9/32 which are hard to find.  I had to import from UK. 

If anyone wants to try these arrows I would be willing to do a send around?  These are matched at 400 grains +_10gr.  Bamboo is pretty forgiving as far as spine and these will shoot well from 35-55 lb bow.

Dave

Offline Southpaw4

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 01:59:44 pm »
Very nice, I too am interested in how you got em so straight, and reall, dig those heads, plan on forging some like that once I get my forge up and running

Davesea

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 03:28:13 pm »
SouthPaw4, I did not process the shafts.  But they are very straight.  I do my own straightening using a propane torch to direct the heat to the shaft and a wooden straightening tool that I made.  After some practice it gets easier to straighten.