Author Topic: Agave Bowstring How-to  (Read 4577 times)

Offline PrimitiveTim

Agave Bowstring How-to
« on: December 01, 2013, 03:35:25 pm »
I thought I would throw my how to on agave bow strings into the how to section for any folks interested.  This is just my method and it works for me.  Maybe not the best or easiest but I sure do enjoy making a string straight from the plant.  Sorry the video isn't more organized.  Please give me any constructive criticism that you might have. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePK2On2nk6A&feature=c4-overview&list=UU9l4lrfkOEV5iNSju5GxM_g
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline burchett.donald

Re: Agave Bowstring How-to
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 11:00:12 am »
  Really cool Tim...Never worked Agave, How strong is it compared to linen? The Turkish knot was new to me. I notice you said it was fraying after 9 shots. Is this normal wear for this string? One more question, did you use green fibers or dried?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 12:07:49 pm »
  Really cool Tim...Never worked Agave, How strong is it compared to linen? The Turkish knot was new to me. I notice you said it was fraying after 9 shots. Is this normal wear for this string? One more question, did you use green fibers or dried?
Never used linen... it's pretty strong though.  I used an old piece of cord that was already fraying and I probably should have cut that out but it just shows how useful the turkish double loop is in keeping a healthy string. Your last questions is kind of hard to answer.  I used the processed fibers the day after I processed them.  They weren't wet or green but I wouldn't say they had been seasoned either.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:51 pm »
Agave provides very long and strong fibers.
Be aware that the juice in some species leaf causes irritation to skin specially if green.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 12:14:05 am »
Agave provides very long and strong fibers.
Be aware that the juice in some species leaf causes irritation to skin specially if green.
Yes, I've experienced it.  I've only noticed it in the type that is floppy and has white stripes on it.