Author Topic: Hello from Oregon.  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Night Hawk

Hello from Oregon.
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:17:04 pm »
I've been reading, re-reading and re-re-reading everything here so I thought I'd take a minute to introduce myself.

I've always had an interest in archery, I did fairly well back in H.S (way back when they still allowed kids to have pointy sticks) but I never did much afterwords. Last year I traded an old GPS for a recurve bow and fell in love with shooting all over again, now I'd like to learn how to make my own self bow. I've already cut some cascara and vine maple, I just need to let it season for a while before I can butcher it in an attempt at my first bow.  ;D

Offline Adam

Re: Hello from Oregon.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:25:49 pm »
Welcome!  I think you'll like it here.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »
Hello back from Oregon, where-abouts are you?  I'm in Eugene, and there are some awesome bowyers here in Oregon, many of them on this site.  While you're waiting for your stuff to dry you could always try a board build.  Anyways, welcome and +1 Adam

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:48:14 pm »
Hi Nite Hawk From WA. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »
welcome to the addiction.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 08:32:51 pm »
Welcome. Like you, I've shot and even refinished recurves and longbows for many years but always wanted to make a selfbow. I even had staves seasoning for 10 years before I found this place. I read books and stumbled along and didn't even know there was a PA magazine. I still stumble but now at a faster pace since finding all the great info on this site and the help from others when I ask!!
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Night Hawk

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:23:59 pm »
Hello back from Oregon, where-abouts are you?  I'm in Eugene, and there are some awesome bowyers here in Oregon, many of them on this site.  While you're waiting for your stuff to dry you could always try a board build.  Anyways, welcome and +1 Adam

I'm right next door to you in Springfield.  :D

I might try a board build after I get a better idea of what to do...

And thanks everyone for the welcome.  :)