Author Topic: Z splice tutorial?  (Read 10102 times)

Minuteman

Z splice tutorial?
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:11:55 pm »
Can anyone direct me to a good description of how to cut a Z splice for a billet bow?
 Pics are good, ya ya pics are reall good. I'm thinking about splicing up some short pieces of Ipe and hik backin' it.
 Any one got a link?

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
Re: Z splice tutorial?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:27:40 pm »
This one is pretty good.

http://bowyersworkshop.com/splicing1.htm

Ralph

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:48:45 pm »
Hey Chris where have you been?  Good to see you back. 
Try this one  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,983.msg9425/topicseen.html#msg9425
  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:02:42 am »
Thanks Justin, Ralph. Thats pretty much what I remembered but I wanted to do a little research before I started makin kindling! ;)Gotta get a new band saw blade today...
 Hey Justin didn't i give you some cedar? I can't recall all of what I gave ya at Pappy's last spring.Yeah I ain't been around much, mostly lurkin I guess. Had a lot of funerals and other tragic problems to deal with  this year.No time for wood.
  I AM getting ready to start on a hikree backed Ipe LB like I said though.  Need to get the wood stove up and running in the shop . Its 15 degrees this mornin'.
 Chris

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:41:15 am »
Sounds like fun, rather be in a wood-heated workshop than this office.  And I just love a new bandsaw blade.

Cut straight.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 12:25:54 pm »
Hey Justin didn't i give you some cedar? I can't recall all of what I gave ya at Pappy's last spring. Chris
You gave me a piece of black cherry and some epay boards, but no cedar.  Now that you are back, maybe I should post pictures of the hickory backed black cherry.  ;D I had a whole bunch of my tools in my heated storage unit until someone broke in last weekend and stole about $3000 worth. I guess I know what to start asking for for Christmas.  :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 04:42:47 pm »
Yes PLEASE post some pictures of a hickory backed cherry! I have yet to try one with the backing strips you gave me.
 Sorry 'bout yer tools Justin.
 I did see your lil sinew backed ipe bow that made you look like even more of a gigantor than you already are! :D
 Tom Sawyer, it was your HBERC  LB that got me motivated. I have some ERC in the shop too.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 08:10:45 pm »
I tried two hick backed cherry both broke >:( Of course my hickory backings were horrible. Just can't buy decent hickory up here and the price to order it with shipping is down right awful. Would like to see pics Justin, aren't you always saying more pictures ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI