Author Topic: Question About Reinforcing Spliced Hickory Backing  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Xamllew

Question About Reinforcing Spliced Hickory Backing
« on: October 11, 2013, 12:03:45 am »
Hello everyone, I just joined because I wanted to ask about a hickory backed longbow I've been slaving over. I backed the bow with two 35" hickory slats joined at the handle, however I did a pretty sloppy job with the splice between the slats (simple scarf joint with poor gluing surface).  Because the bow is a bend-in-handle type, I'm worried the joint may pop apart the instant it begins to bend. Is there any way I can reinforce this joint? I planned to wrap it tightly in fishing line and epoxy over that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 12:11:35 am by Xamllew »

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: Question About Reinforcing Spliced Hickory Backing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 12:47:08 am »
The fishing line (i recomend thick braided for durability and astetics) should be plenty if wrapped tight and glue coated. what wood is the hickory backing on?

John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 12:49:38 am »
You might try a hemp string wrap set in glue. I use it on most bows but started on a bow with a spliced backing. It is very strong and gives a good all weather handle wrap. I use Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) to seal and set the handle wrap. I get the hemp string from WalMart. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 01:24:43 am »
Better to span the splice with a thin overlay and then wrap on top of that.

Offline Xamllew

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:33:51 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
@NeolithicMan, the belly wood is red oak, so I'm keeping the backing fairly thin and trapped.

@Pat B, Thanks for the advice, though I plan on having a leather wrap over the splice so the hemp wont be seen. Don't want that epoxy mess to be seen or felt.

@PatM, ah, great idea, what material would be appropriate though? Just another piece of hickory?

I wonder if Dacron b-50 would be a better choice than the fishing line for wrapping.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:45:54 am by Xamllew »

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 01:46:52 am »
Yes  a thin piece with the ends tapered to a feathered edge.  Bowstring will be waxed and not glue well. so you'd be better off with braided fishing line of a non stretch material.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 09:56:25 am »
I just finished a red oak selfbow from a tree I cut last winter. its unbacked but the grain on the belly looks awesome when finished up with a burnish and tru-oil.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:03:26 am »
+1 On what Pat says. Over lay a thin slat, that will give a huge glue area. A splice has only a tiny area of gue where the backings meet.
You can even sand down the join to give a dead flat slightly concave surface first so that when the job is finished it doesn't show as a bulge.
I think any wrapping is almost irrelevant, but a 5-6" long thin overlay will do the job.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.