Author Topic: Attempt at making a crook knife (Updated pic added)( finished)  (Read 2196 times)

Offline mcginnis6010

Attempt at making a crook knife (Updated pic added)( finished)
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:18:16 pm »
Well ive been wanting a crook knife badly but dont wanna pay $35-40 for one so i have decided to attempt to make one from some left over steel i had. This is where i am at right now. I have filed a rough edge at about a 45-50 degree angle however im still not happy with it. It has a slight dip that will require me to do even more file work. Ill actually put the bend on and heat treat and temper tomorrow. Tonight ill think of what wood to use as handle. I hope i get this right i been wanting one for quite some time now.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:49:30 pm by mcginnis6010 »
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Attempt at making a crook knife
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »
Boy, a good crook knife would come in handy debarking some warbly backed hickory or noodling out sapwood on a character osage stave.  Knowing your persistance and attention to detail this will be a respectable tool soon!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: Attempt at making a crook knife
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 08:30:39 pm »
Thanks JW i have to agree that it would definitely come in handy. A crook knife in my opinion would be a very versatile tool and small enough to pack in my bag when i go into the woods for my weekend therapy. Which is a heck of a lot cheaper and more effective than any therapist.

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: Attempt at making a crook knife (Updated pic added)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:37 pm »
Heres the almost finished product now just need to decide in handle material. I have maple, cherry, hickory, black walnut and black locust. Oh what to choose.

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: Attempt at making a crook knife (Updated pic added)( finished)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:52:51 pm »
Here the finished product and some spoons ive started with it. The spoon on the left is autumn olive and the right one is bradford pear. They arent finished yet as they have to finish drying out but so far so good. ;D