Author Topic: Warbow myth?  (Read 35648 times)

nick1346

Re: Warbow myth?
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2008, 07:00:14 pm »
I gotz lotz of good stuff to show on warbow penetration. But is it really wanted here???

Hi Thimo,

Good to see you again!

Of course we want to see it!

Cheers

Nick

Offline The Burnt Hill Archer

• Potter County, Pennsylvania
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2008, 01:53:06 am »
thats an impressive shot man, good to see you over here too!

yup i deffinately think you could post your penetration tests...

Phil
stalk softly, and carry a bent stick.

ThimoS

« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2008, 08:00:12 pm »
I'll see what I can do.

Thanks all.

Offline Goose Fletch

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
I think this discussion is worth revisiting, lots more people seem to be taking an interest in warbows. One thing i didn't notice being considered was the climate in thst region . Constant dampness and rain would cause serious rot, plus life then was filty. Who knows what parasites might have been living under a tarred oak surface. In addition to this, wood may have been weather proofed but if its a gate door then chances are its been through some horror before which may have weakened it.

It could be that that particular door was really rotten at a place where two pieces of wood were joined.. However in this day and age i doubt that any bodkin on an arrow of any mass off a bow of very high calibre could have leverage over the hundreds of tiny oak tree fibers such that it could pentrate it. Really wish someone could build a big heavy door to try it on, i dont think stacks of homedepot red oak will do it justice =P

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2013, 08:13:24 pm »
As we all pause to reconsider this thread, I pose another little tidbit to cogitate in your brains:  to wit, WTF were trained archers doing shooting at a closed and barred door?  What bleeping purpose did that serve, other than to waste ammo?

Unless someone can produce said door, I am going to move over to the skeptics camp and wassail in mazers of mead all whilst composing epithets for French chevaliers.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline occupant

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2013, 12:29:37 pm »
I do find it a little hard to believe, granted mine only top out in the low 90's#.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2013, 01:54:25 pm »
Watch this if you your interested in the originall question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5qNwZM-4qo

No way will any arrow be going through 4 inch oak total BS
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 01:59:31 pm by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2013, 02:00:07 pm »
.....WTF were trained archers doing shooting at a closed and barred door?  What bleeping purpose did that serve, other than to waste ammo?

Safer to knock on a door with a few arrows, especially if there's any possibility of someone waiting with a vat of boiling oil on the battlements overhead......or maybe someone momentarily stuck their head round the door and blew a resounding raspberry at the attackers :P
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline PatM

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2013, 12:25:57 am »
The story was that the guys were fleeing back to the castle and got through the door and slammed it as the Welsh guys fired the  last round of arrows.  They weren't just shooting at a closed door.
I'm pretty sure a similar scene was depicted in "Ivanhoe".