Author Topic: Venison sausage, etc.  (Read 3746 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Venison sausage, etc.
« on: December 13, 2013, 10:30:55 pm »
First, I would like to say that a category on the forum for "Game Recipes" may be good to add. I did a search for venison recipe and only got a few hits and I know there's more to offer.

I am trying to make venison summer sausage without adding any fat. I just made three pounds with adding non fat dehydrated milk but it did not act as a binder and did not hold moisture. The summer sausage has a great flavor, but dry. I just hate to add any fat to a healthy lean meat. I am looking at what is called "fat replacer" offered by the "Sausage Maker web site. I have also heard adding oats will hold moisture.

Any of you all already tried this and developed a recipe?

Any other venison recipes you want to offer will be good also. Time to use what you have or will reap this year.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Venison sausage, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 10:47:36 pm »
Cheese is good for moisture. But not exactly healthy. Also dont be scared to add water to your grind before you stuff. It will help keep what little moisture the meat has, in the meat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 10:58:36 pm »
PD, I did add some water but I think it mostly drained out while baking in the oven. I plan on trying a little high temp cheese and jalepeno on a future batch. The "fat replacer" is a cellulose product made from wood. I have not found any health issues with it from what I have read so far.

One of my favorite Venson recipes is cooking a roast in a slow cooker. Put two cans of cream of mushroom soup and a dry package of onion soup. Put it all in the pot, but do not add water. About 5-6 hours later when done and falling apart it is ready..sometimes I add additional baby portabella mushrooms to the mix......Enjoy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:06:22 pm »
Be sure to let us know how the wood chips work as a fat replacement in the sausage.  I tried for years to find something to replace fat in my brats and summer sausage.  I finally decided to quit, instead I cut back on other fats in my diet.  My venison sausages are much better for it, but I have to eat them in moderation and eat popcorn without butter.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 11:21:58 pm »
How about using olive oil as the fat. It is a healthy fat.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:36:21 pm »
Hey Pat, I also considered olive oil but this is what I have read. Olive oil stays an oil and it will cause your sausage to be oily and even drip. It will also be oily in the mouth when eating. Animal fats will return to a semi solid state after cooking and gives that desired smooth texture when eating.

Thanks you for the suggestion, any favorite recipes ?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:48 pm »
Beef suet will liquify and make the sausage greasy if it gets over 155(?) degrees.  Don't ask me how I know 55 lbs of venison salami got that way. 

I agree with NC Longhunter, we could really use a cooking thread on here.  After that potluck down at Pappy's I am more convinced of that than ever!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 07:42:29 am »
Dad and I buy beef kidney fats from the local slaughter house. We cut it all apart and clean it up, then grind it once through. Usually 3 big handfuls is good for 30-35# of grind. I assume your not using a casing? Once other thing I noticed. When your thermometer says its done, yank it out. every minute beyond temp just dries it down.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:05:34 pm »
Kidney fat is an interesting part of the intestine.

I have not used casings on my summer sausage, however I do plan on trying some. I read something the other night that was interesting, the writer suggested using any venison or wild game not used through the summer to make sausage just as the new deer season starts. That meat would be a year old and not as fresh so mixing seasoning and such into the old meat will be a good way to use it....makes sense to me.