Author Topic: Red oak sapwood  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

Red oak sapwood
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
So I have this great 7 foot red oak board, approx 3" wide, by about 3/4ths inch thick or so.
It is about half softwood, half heartwood. The problem is there isn't enough heartwood to make a heartwood only bow, and I don't think there is enough sapwood due to a small amount of grain runout.
Is there enough a difference that I shouldn't make this thing into a longbow, with the right half sapwood and the left half heartwood(or reversed) in each limb? is it different in compression and/or tension?
I don't want to turn this board into a propeller ;)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

blackhawk

Re: Red oak sapwood
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:23:45 pm »
As long as you chose a proper grained board and you do your part right it should be fine....make a bow

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 05:25:11 pm »
as in, if its weaker this thing is gonna twist beyond belief.
Like in spirals.
Literally.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:31:50 pm »
You can control any twisting with tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 05:35:26 pm »
There isn't going to be enough significant difference in density between the sapwood and heartwood in red oak ..I haven't found any difference between the two in my experiences with boardstock or tree stock