Author Topic: Black Powder  (Read 9121 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Black Powder
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 09:53:55 pm »

JW...maybe you've been to the Hagley Museum in my
      hometown, Wilmington, Delaware. The DuPonts got
      their start there on the Brandywine River. It's funny
      you mention the three walls thing because I remember
      that very fact made a strong impression on me there on
      a school field trip when I was a young lad.

Japbow.

I'vae never been to the museum, but it is on the list of places I would love to see.  Some years back I got a great book on the history of gunpowder, the section on the DuPonts was very fascinating.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:37 pm »
According to the msds the stump remover compound at lowes is 100% potassium nitrate. I bought some and will give it a try just for the fun of it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2013, 08:42:31 am »
According to the msds the stump remover compound at lowes is 100% potassium nitrate. I bought some and will give it a try just for the fun of it.

Good to know
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2013, 12:53:23 pm »
Had this bottle since 1970'ish.....
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline stickbender

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2013, 03:52:28 pm »
     Like it was said before, always mix it wet!  Static electricity is what set off the DuPont's explosions  .  At least that is what they have attributed them to.  Could have been any number of causes, but that is definitely the number one on the lists.  Especially on a cold morning.  I think they worked bare foot, in the buildings. As for mixtures,or formulas, the Fox Fire series of books has a recipe for black powder.  On an outdoor special one time a long time ago, about the early to mid seventies, there was a story about and old guy in California, who was living in the California mountains, and it showed the home he built in the side of a mountain, among the rocks, and how, made a rock gate, with home forged hinges, and marbles for bearings, and bear grease, which he got from bears he had killed with his home made muzzle loaders, and using his own home made black powder.  He told the mixture he used, and when he mixed it, instead of using water, he used urine, and he got the best results from using alder charcoal.  He had experimented with various types of willow, and other wood, but he said the Alder gave him the best results. There used to be people whose job it was, to go around at night, and collect the trays put in out houses, to collect the poop and such, (night soil) and dump it in a wagon, and take it back to the place where it would be processed to leach the potassium nitrate out of it.  They would make a more or less hay manger, supported by upright poles, and filled with hay or straw, and underneath this would be a trough to catch the drippings.  They would dump the night soil on top of the straw, and then pour water over it.  The potassium nitrate would leach out and collect on the straw, and in the trough beneath,  When dry the little crystals of potassium nitrate would be gathered and then crushed, and then mixed with the charcoal and sulfur.   I remember reading in an OLD book that was about hunting, woods lore, and such, and it had a big caution about shaking a can of powder to see how much was in it.  It warned about static electricity setting the powder off!  That is why commercial powder now uses a coating of graphite, to prevent that.  I was never successful in the rocket projects I tried.  They either blew up, which was just as satisfying, or just fell over, and fizzled, and burned up.  Then I got idea to just use a Co2 cartridge instead of powder.  There were lots of possibilities for that, that I won't go into here. NSA and all, you know...... ::) 8)We're being watched 8)  In the Army I was a Cryptographic clerk, and we were always told to be careful what we said to others at the end of our transmissions.  As the NSA was peeking.  Their shoulder patch was a lightening bolt grasped by a golden claw, and black feathered leg.  We used to call them the "Lightening fast Chicken @#%$#%s." !  Has to do with sex And all that sort of nasty stuff soldiers hear now and then...... ::) ;D ;D
Any who, do be careful, with experimenting, if you do make some, make small batches, and keep each separate, in non plastic or metal containers, that would conduct static electricity, and then after you have the amount you need, combine it.  Potassium Nitrate is very hydrating, as it will draw moisture from the air.  But a humid atmosphere keeps static electricity down. ;)  Just be careful  I once showed a Friend of mine how to make Co2 cartridge ...... uh entertainment, items, like depth charges we used to make with the old and better M80's, and he was with some Friends, and they were lighting them, and I had told him absolutely no fuse shorter than 6 inches, and as soon as it is lit throw it as far as you can!  Well they said all was going well till he lit one, and just stared at it.  He says even to this day, he doesn't know why he didn't throw it, even when his Friends were yelling at him to throw it.  Well he has part of a thumb, and various lengths of other fingers, and a piece of the metal cartridge lodged near his heart!  Black Powder is an explosive!  Be it a poor one, nonetheless it has the potential to be deadly, as you have read previously here on this blog.  I say again, please be careful, small batches and wet, and remember, it is not coated with graphite, so it is sensitive!  How would you coat it with graphite, well, I believe the mixture is granulated to size, and the dampened, and lightly tumbled in graphite.  Not sure of the commercial process.  At one time, you could order a fifty pound brass container of pea sized black powder, that was once used in torpedoes, from Dixie Gun Works. 8)  Wish I would have ordered one or more of those when they were available.  But money was a bit tight then, and has not changed a whole lot since. :(  Be careful, I kinda like reading all the posts on here, and would like it to continue. ;)
                                                                               Wayne

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:36:38 pm by stickbender »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2013, 06:27:50 pm »
Well I guess I must have been lucky because I started out mixing it dry.  Never had any problems but I switched to mixing it wet because it worked so much better. 

Now talking about explosions reminds me of when I was young and my brothers and I using Acetylene and Oxygen, at the proper burning mix of course, to make flash/bang explosives.  We would do this by filling large balloons, like beach balls, with the mix and setting them off with a fuse, standing respectfully back of course.  The sound they made was quite impressive but the flash even more so especially when we set them off at dusk.  Didn't make my grandmother too happy though as they scared the crap out of her cows.  I don't think we could get away with doing stuff like that these days.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2013, 07:04:52 pm »
As I recall, the white stains you get on a very sweaty shirt as it dries is also kno3. I believe you can leach that out as well.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 11:03:02 pm »
Marc;
When I was in High School a few of us were making "fireworks" with Iodine and Ammonia, a heck of a, touchy,  contact explosive when it dries out. Great for painting the underside of toilet seats 8). We also filled up balloons with Oxy/Acetylene, tied them on a long string to a 25 cent helium balloon. then we taped a Cherry Bomb to the side of it after we taped cannon fuse to the Cherry Bomb. It detonated about 500' up, broke windows all over town and they scrabbled jets from Mc Dill Air Force Base. Last time we tried that.

And then there were the Oxy/Acetylene cannons,, :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2013, 12:47:16 am »
Mullet... been a while since I laughed that hard. Both accounts you told were great. Was it the girls toilet seat yall painted? And man I'd love to hear the news broarcast over the air burst yall made.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:49 am »
Marc;
When I was in High School a few of us were making "fireworks" with Iodine and Ammonia, a heck of a, touchy,  contact explosive when it dries out. Great for painting the underside of toilet seats 8). We also filled up balloons with Oxy/Acetylene, tied them on a long string to a 25 cent helium balloon. then we taped a Cherry Bomb to the side of it after we taped cannon fuse to the Cherry Bomb. It detonated about 500' up, broke windows all over town and they scrabbled jets from Mc Dill Air Force Base. Last time we tried that.

And then there were the Oxy/Acetylene cannons,, :D
     Back in the Fifties, I remember the jets flying over the city of Lake Worth, and hitting the sound barrier, and they would break windows in some of the stores.  The city was not too pleased with that and they changed their flight route.  Still rattled our house.  They would fly out of Mars air base, which is now Palm Beach International.  Maybe that is what they thought was going on, and since they didn't have anyone doing testing, they thought it might be an interloper from The Russian red commies! ......Eddie?  Yes we knew him.... " He was a quiet child"   ;D     

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 01:36:41 am by stickbender »

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2013, 08:08:10 am »
Back in the early 70's my younger brother used to work for a trucking supply company that had a machine shop, that's where he worked.  I'd had limited success with making my own muzzleloaders so I had the bright idea, bigger must be better.  I decided we needed to make a canon.  Chris of course was elected to make the barrel.  He had seen a short piece of thick walled high pressure steel pipe laying around in the shop, it was about 24" long with a bore of around 2".  He set about plugging one end while I worked on the ignition, I figured a remote ignition was probably best.  I was reloading shotgun shells so I had primers and powder and I made a mould out of plaster for the ball.  It was the middle of winter before we had it done but we had to test it.  We dragged it out into the bush, loaded it up with powder , homemade card wads, the ball and lined it up towards a big Poplar about 18" in diameter.  We hid behind a dead fall and set it off.  There was a boom and the tree shook.  Unfortunately I was a bit too liberal with the gunpowder and all there was left of the back end of our canon was a jagged end and shrapnel streaks in the snow.  The ball nearly made it through the frozen tree though

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com