Author Topic: Practicing with Stone Points  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Viking

Practicing with Stone Points
« on: January 28, 2014, 12:44:29 am »
How does one practice with stone points.  I am wanting to hunt with stone points this fall, but I am not sure how to practice, or more to the point, tune my arrows/bow/point combos.  With steel broadheads I simply shoot and resharpen, but I am not sure what to do with stone points.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Offline Mohawk13

Re: Practicing with Stone Points
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 12:50:27 am »
Make up some arrows like your hunting arrows with basic stone points about the same weight as Your good hunting points. You can make some from left over knapping shards or buy them online.   
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 08:10:30 am »
Chris, there are a few ways to do this but what works for me is hafting my points to the arrow and setting up three foam sofa cushions as my target and shoot it at 10 yards. The cushion protect the point but still get to test it out. Not much tuning can be done at this point though with self nocks and permanent slot for point. As for points I make, I knap them to a specific style and don't worry about the weight.
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 09:38:27 am »
I shoot into a rubberized foam block.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 10:37:22 am »
Chris
I put a piece of 2 " blue Styrofoam about a foot in front of my foam target for finale testing and only shoot one arrow at a time !
But for actually practicing I select one arrow that shoots the same as the set I will be hunting with and keep it for practicing and it gets shot into all kinds of things ! they are tougher than one first thinks . other rocks are about the only thing that usually does any damage to the points , hence why I only shoot them one at a time.
My practice arrow has been in the dirt and hit a few rocks
If you make it to Marshall ask me to show you my hunting arrows and this ? again so I can go over a few things with you ! Or if you go to the Classic there will be folks to help you out there . Which event you get to will be determined by the little one I am sure !!  The Hafting process it one of the more important parts of the arrow !!
See ya round
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Don Case

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:03:57 pm »
Chris, there are a few ways to do this but what works for me is hafting my points to the arrow and setting up three foam sofa cushions as my target and shoot it at 10 yards. The cushion protect the point but still get to test it out. Not much tuning can be done at this point though with self nocks and permanent slot for point. As for points I make, I knap them to a specific style and don't worry about the weight.

Don't use the cushions from the living room sofa ;) ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:20:54 pm »
When I make an arrow with a stone point I haft the point first and make sure that it spins true. When the arrow spins true I fletch it and take it out and shoot it. It will either be a hunting arrow or a wall hanger. It only takes one shot to tell.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »

Don't use the cushions from the living room sofa ;) ;)

Find plenty at the local landfill recycle center :D wife would probably shoot me with my own points if I used ours >:D
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956