Author Topic: Crepe Myrtle Bow (advice welcome)  (Read 1998 times)

Offline dmills

Crepe Myrtle Bow (advice welcome)
« on: June 05, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
Long story short, this is the first bow I haven't broken so far.  Two were tried with East Texas cedar and the third was a red oak board from a box store. 

This is a Crepe Myrtle stave that I trimmed from my yard and have been drying in my barn for a couple of months.

I had split the branch in two but this had so much twist I only got one usable half.  This branch had a natural bow at one end (on the left in the pictures).  So far I have scraped and floor tillered.  I have used heat to bend the right limb to flip the tip similar to the left.  I have used some heat on the lright to begin matching the curve in the left limb-mid section.  This picture shows pre-long string status.

The next picture is with the long string pulled 12 inches.

So the picture shows the natural curve on the left and probably needing to scrape the mid section on the right, I think. 

I exercised the limbs and then did a quick experimental pull to 15" and snapped this photo.  Then I stopped for the day.

The stave is 53.5" tip to tip.  I am shooting for a 40 lb draw at about 20" or so. 

Any input will be welcome.  I would prefer not to break another bow.  But I understand that there is a big learning curve and I am just getting started.  I know I should probably do a 68" pyramid board bow to learn on, but that is not what I'm doing.

I have read all of Ken75's crepe myrtle posts and those are a great help.  Especially the one where he says that the bark on these will  make cracking noises when bending.  I heard that first crack and thought I had already broken another bow just by putting on the long string, but then recalled what Ken had said.  I am still in process of removing that light bark, but I don't think that is having any effect on the process.

Thanks.

Offline dmills

Re: Crepe Myrtle Bow (advice welcome)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 10:37:10 pm »
rereading some buildalongs, should I first steam out the deflex on the left limb first?

Offline Badly Bent

Re: Crepe Myrtle Bow (advice welcome)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:58 pm »
Did you leave the handle area a little thicker? Right now it looks like all your bend is in the center of the bow. I would stay away from the middle 10"-12" and scrape from there out past midlimb on both sides until you gat a more even bend. Also it would help to shorten up your long string and shoot your photo from dead on center facing the bow.
Scrape away belly wood slowly and check on bend often, when you feel you have the bend evenly distributed over the length of the bow go to the short string at a low brace height. From there tiller will be easier to judge. Keep posting progress pics and I'm sure some of the guys with a better tiller eye than me will chime in. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.