Author Topic: questions about tiger maple and black cherry  (Read 894 times)

Offline OffTiller

questions about tiger maple and black cherry
« on: April 23, 2014, 09:49:40 pm »
so I was wondering about some tiger maple and black cherry boards I have sitting around. this will be my fifth bow attempt and want to do something a little out of my league. I was thinking about a mollie, tiger maple or black cherry belly with a rawhide backing. or maybe a (excuse the phrase if not using correctly) tri-lam with the maple, cherry and rawhide as a backing. is this something that could be accomplished or is my inexperience allowing me to daydream beyond what reality will allow. I would just hate to store these away if something can be coaxed out of these beautiful woods. thanks for the feed back.
"I seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old, I seek the things they sought."

Offline PatM

Re: questions about tiger maple and black cherry
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 09:52:29 pm »
Black Cherry and rawhide for the limbs, Tiger Maple just in the handle.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 12:19:47 am »
tiger maple is really nice for static applications. knife handles, bow risers, tips, overlays... it makes a cool arrow for display too.
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 12:21:01 am »
Forgot about the black cherry; hickory, maple, rawhide, needs a tension strong backing.

anyone try thick sinew?
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!