Author Topic: Can you saw logs into staves?  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Cade

Can you saw logs into staves?
« on: April 25, 2014, 12:31:57 am »
I'm new to bow making but hopefully will be making a few this summer. I will be cutting down a few hickory and osage trees at my granpa's farm. My question is can I saw them or do they have to be split? I am fine splitting them but my grandpa found what he calls an alaskan saw mill where it is basically a chainsaw rigged to a table to where you can handle whole logs. He used it to build his cabin in Alaska so he is itching to use it. Thank you for what ever advice you have.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Can you saw logs into staves?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 12:35:12 am »
You can make bows with hickory lumber.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bogaman

• steve white
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 12:44:48 am »
Yes you can saw logs into staves. The kerf where the chainsaw goes thru the log will be wasted wood however. If the logs are big enough that won't be a big deal, but on smaller stuff it might be.
I prefer splitting myself. I think part of it depends on the type of bows you want to make. For just one piece bows I would split the logs. If your wanting to make some laminated bows then you should saw it.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 12:50:25 am by Bogaman »

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 07:20:20 am »
Since your new I'd do it the ole fashion way and split it..that way you know your staves will be following the grain perfectly ...and I like smaller hickory trees for bows,and i wouldn't cut a large one if I were you yet...learn how to read grain in a tree and pick a straight clean one for your firsts....the bark will indicate any twists,knots,cat faces,etc...the bark should run in a direction that goes straight up the trunk and doesn't twist like a candy cane....good luck

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 08:17:24 am »
Ditto what has been said above. Especially on osage, unless the logs are very large and straight it would be a challenge to cut up. Hickory not so much.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Cade

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 08:42:19 am »
Ok thank you. I think I'm wanting to make self bows so I think I will split it. Can't wait!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 09:33:53 am »
If you pick out good straight grained trees they won't be to hard to split by hand.  You will get a better understanding of the flow of the grain that way also.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:20:27 am »
With selfbows you are better off splitting the log for your staves. Learn wood bow building from the beginning and that will help you understand the materials and the processes better as a new wood bow builder.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 10:31:30 am »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Cade

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 12:22:10 am »
Is that your website George? If it is then I commend you on it. I have visited it before and it has been extremely useful. It mentioned moisture meters or weighing the stave to make sure it is dry. What would you recommend I use?  Thanks for all the help.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 03:00:31 am »
It is easier to split a log, but if I think a split is going to twist then I will rip the log with my bandsaw.
Gordon