Author Topic: Environmental Trouble  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Environmental Trouble
« on: May 10, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »
I cut a few Paper Birch this Winter for firewood, all of them had very thin bark.  I've cut many Birch in the past and the usual bark thickness ranged around 1/8", not anymore.  All the Birch I cut this Winter had bark no more than 1/16" thick.  I also noticed that there were more dead Birch trees than there were live ones.  Does not bode well.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bow101

Re: Environmental Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 03:40:29 pm »
Could it be the colder winter..?  I remember in the 90's the furnace was always shut off by Mid April.
It still comes now a few times in the morning and late evening.  This has been the norm for the last 10-18 years.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Parnell

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 03:45:43 pm »
The world is changing, Marc, and there ain't a damn thing that is going to stop it.  By the way, your bow you posted up has a spectacular tiller. :)
1’—>1’

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 07:28:03 am »
Trees don't put on layers of bark in the Winter and I can't see why a colder Winter would kill them off.  White Birch can tolerate longer, colder, Winters than other species of trees that grow up here, their range extends further North.

Thanks Parnell

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 09:37:50 am »
  That is strange Mark, have your spring and summer temps been warmer than usual?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 08:07:37 am »
Just the opposite Steve.  Last Summer was cool and wet and this past Winter was positively unpleasant. 

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:46:02 pm »
I think this is a perfect example of why climate science is so hard to grasp, no one knows what will happen it's just a bunch of educated guesses.  Too many bizarre feedback loops and relationships we don't know about.  I read an interesting article about bark beetles http://www.climatecentral.org/news/why-bark-beetles-are-chewing-their-way-through-americas-forests-15429 .  Who knows how this will effect trees of all types through adaptive mechanisms?  Environmental trouble for sure.

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:46:29 am »
Marc, domestic birch species are notoriously plagued with problems and I wonder if some of the ailments that afflict them have been introduced into the wild populations.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:51:50 am »
The one thing about White Birch is the wood stays sound for nearly a year after it dies so it's still good firewood, then the decay really accelerates.  The wood ferments after it dies, slightly unpleasant smell when you cut it, and that probably protects the wood from bugs and bacteria.  Then the decay starts from the top and works its way down

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com