Author Topic: Barberry Self Bow (Berberis vulgaris)  (Read 6848 times)

Offline rockynz

Barberry Self Bow (Berberis vulgaris)
« on: May 24, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »
Hi all,

i'm new to PA and this will be my first bow! I have to say that these are the best forums I've ever been a member of. So much talent on here I've hardly been able to stop reading since I joined!

I'd like to make a longbow from a log of Barberry I cut about a month ago. I was going to let it season for a lot longer but have noticed it has started splitting along its length. I'm thinking I should maybe split it now and rough out the staves to relive the stress as it drys? Here are a few pics of the log, any help about how I should go about it would be much appreciated. The log is 69" long by approx. 5" diam.

Cheers
rocky

Offline Crogacht

Re: Barberry Self Bow (Berberis vulgaris)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 07:39:27 pm »
Where's your bow?! Have you got the finish on it yet? How does it shoot?  ;)

Offline rockynz

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 09:54:10 pm »
 :laugh: LOL, I learnt a lesson there man! First off the log did not split as I wanted it to so ended up with only one real good stave. I debarked it and roughed it out with the axe and sealed the back and ends. Maybe did not use enough sealer as there are cracks all along the back now!! :'( Anyway I had a look at the other bit I split off and may be able to get something out of it. Have split it again into two small staves and left the bark on. So far they look ok, so fingers crossed!

I'm going to split up my Lanewood log tonight so that will dry a bit quicker so hope i don't have the same problems there. Its a huge log 85"long and almost 7" diam. so hope I don't wreck it. You don't find Lancewood like that everyday!

Anyway will post here again as soon as I get to do some more with the Barberry! How's your bow coming along?

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »
Yeah, I prefer to leave the bark on :D It's risky otherwise.

Man that is a MASSIVE lancewood, nearly twice the size of anything I've seen, but we are sort of on the transition from the podocarp/mixed forest into the southern beech forest, so they don't do as well down here I don't think.

What are the ridges like on a piece that big? If they're a lot smoother than the small bits I've worked, then you might not have to decrown it, which would be ideal.

All my spare time is spent on work and harvesting a couple of big black locust trees the past few weeks, but I should be done with those this weekend, so I might get them on the tiller tree I hope. I'm also looking at getting a lathe, so trying to figure out where I'll put that and how I'll set it up. Should be fun.

Offline rockynz

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 01:55:56 am »
Yeah its a huge log alright. I'll put a pic up for you at the weekend. I don't think the ridges will be like the smaller trees. I'll post the pics on that NZ thread and leave this one for the Barberry! Black Locust sounds good!!

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:10:48 am »
Sweet. Don't get too worried about your barberry, my first log was an elm and it looks quite bad, but the bow is looking ok so far. I would push on and see how it goes, it never looks so bad once you get it a bit further on.

Thread is here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,46204.0.html

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:25:43 pm »
Are you sure you wouldn't rather have this in the Bows Forum?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline rockynz

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 09:46:27 pm »
Hi Marc, I was not sure as to where to put it? Its not really a bow as yet. I was thinking of adding to the thread as I progressed so the build-a-long seemed to be the appropriate place. If you feel it would be better elsewhere please move it. As i said at the beginning I'm new to this so any help is much appreciated  :)

Offline Crogacht

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 11:04:59 pm »
Did you get anywhere with the Barberry or Lancewood?

I just broke an elm stave so I'm sulking for a couple of days before I take my anger out on the next elm stave from that log. Learnt a lot, eager to get stuck into the next one.

Offline rockynz

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 06:43:19 am »
Hey Crogacht,
sorry not to reply sooner. Not had too much time to spend on bows just lately. I have just finished making myself a shave horse though! Been in the shed tonight to see if I can salvage a stave from the barberry log. Done nothing with the lancewood as yet.
Here are a couple of pics of the shave horse. Made entirely from scrap, cost me nothing  ;D

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:00 am »
You would be better off if this topic was placed in the regular "bows" section. It is now in the build-along section which is described as "How to articles and archives of informational threads and members build-a-long projects". Your project doesn't fit in too well. Making a build-along is too ambitious if this is gonna be your bow. That would be best to do once you've gained more knowledge and experience. You'll get a lot more replies and views by placing it in the "bows" section. A moderator can move it for you, if you want.

A Berberis log? Now that is unique! It's nothing more than a small scrub here. Never expected it to grow that big. It's in a weird plant family with no commercial timbers. I have to idea what the wood is like. You might be the first to make a bow with this species...
Berberis is mildly poisonous, so be careful with it. I haven't researched too much about it, but you might want to wear a respirator when you're sanding the wood.

A log of wood (any wood for that matter, but in this case lancewood) that is 7" diameter, should be split before it is dried. It will take five years to fully dry as is, but more importantly: since the pith is still intact in this round log, it will split horribly. If you're not sure how to process it, it's fine to leave it be for a few weeks. But the longer you leave it round, the more chance of drying checks forming and insect attacking the wood underneath the bark. Split (/saw) it at least in half, preferably in quarters or six sections.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286