Author Topic: Arrows for a tall guy  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Buck67

Arrows for a tall guy
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:56:13 pm »
A friend is 6'8" and has a 32" draw.  He shoots a 60 pound longbow.  I am going to make up some arrows for him and I was wondering what spline weight to use.  I'm thinking that because he shoots a 60 pound bow and the arrows will be 6" longer than the 26" spline tester that he would need a 90+/- pound spline weighted arrow.  I am going to use Tonkin bamboo or River Cane if it will test out right.  I also got some 3/8" Poplar dowels from Lowe's to try.

Any input will be appreciated.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Arrows for a tall guy
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 02:28:34 pm »
80-85 spine would be about right. Doubt you will get that from any boo or cane.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »
You can probably find tonkin to spine in that range. Some of the first tonkin cane I used was from 75# to over 100#. I ended up trading most of it off because it was too heavy. In fact if you go to the garden outlets it's most likely that anything you find  11 / 12mm on the large end will probably spine out heavy enough to use.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 03:04:22 pm »
The formula for calculating arrow spine is for a 28" arrow wit a 125gr point. For each inch over 28" subtract 5#. For 32" arrow 80# - 85#, like Pearlie said, should work. Being that cane arrows are draw weight tolerant it shouldn't be that hard to make. Make them long(34") and cut them down if necessary.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »
You can probably find tonkin to spine in that range. Some of the first tonkin cane I used was from 75# to over 100#. I ended up trading most of it off because it was too heavy. In fact if you go to the garden outlets it's most likely that anything you find  11 / 12mm on the large end will probably spine out heavy enough to use.

Fred will conventional tips fit them you think? 23/64 maybe?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »
PD, the original ones I purchased at that time were from Rudderbows. I ended up ordering premade foreshafts for them. I used some 23/64 points on others since but the fit on the taper was not as good as I prefer. If I remember correctly I did glue dowels into other shafts before tapering them.
With trade points or shell casing blunts you wouldn't encounter the taper problem.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:00:22 pm »
From my experience............Tonkin cane will spine much heavier than river cane of the same diameter. 

I agree, and I believe you can find Tonkin in that spine and 11/32 points would work.  I'm working about a doz 40-45# spine Tonkin and having a hard time finding some that light.  5/16 points works but 1/4 would be fine on some.

But pending how far from center shot the bow is, you might get by with some 70#er's.  Like Pat said start a little long and a little light on spine......you can always cut them off a little at a time to get them tuned in.  I bare shaft them at this point then fletch'm.

DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Buck67

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 08:33:41 pm »
Bareshafting them would be a good idea but he pulls a 60# bow and I'm doing good to pull a 45# bow.  I have Tonkin bamboo and it is easy to find shafts that will go 90 to 125+   I'm using a sharpened duplex nailhead for a point so I don't have to mess with glue on tips fitting.  Glad to know that I am on the right track.  I'm making his arrows 33" long so I should be good.  Thanks to everyone for their input.

The 3/8" dowel rods spline weight ran between 70 and 90 pounds.  I will put a flint tip on one of them just for fun.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 05:34:55 am »
Is that 60 lbs at his 32 inch draw ? Most amo on bows are at 28 in draw and if he is drawing it 32 it would be much more than 60 lbs. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 06:42:48 am »
Not sure what cane/boo you are not able to find high weights in spine, but I have cane here that is in the 100# spine range and find it fairly frequently.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 08:00:42 pm »
Is that 60 lbs at his 32 inch draw ? Most amo on bows are at 28 in draw and if he is drawing it 32 it would be much more than 60 lbs. :)
  Pappy
Very good point Pappy............could make a world of difference.  :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking