Author Topic: Denim bow backing ???  (Read 3366 times)

Offline bambam

Denim bow backing ???
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:31:03 pm »
I make my own fast flight strings so just made some micarta for the tips of my current project out of blue jean material and epoxy glue. Was thinking to get the black glass look of buying some black denim and putting it in boiling water then a hot dryer to fully shrink it. It could then be glued on as backing  with 2 part epoxy and when dry have another heavy coat rubbed in and smoothed.  Does this sound like a good idea ?
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Denim bow backing ???
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:49:53 pm »
just get black glass if that is what you want.  3 rivers carries it.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 05:51:22 pm »
It doesn't sound like a good idea to me. There are lots of better options. IMO  It would add too much physical weight to the limbs and give you no positive benefits.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 06:58:26 pm »
If it needs a backing buy some black silk, or if it don't just paint the back black
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bambam

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 08:58:23 pm »
Thanks for warning me off denim backing. It makes great micarta for the tips though. My current project has rawhide backing that worked out great but when I tried to dye it black with leather dye it came out grey. What is a good way to color rawhide?
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline 4dog

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 09:36:03 pm »
india ink i hear is the best....but i would think if you apply and reapply etc. etc. etc....it SHOULD in theory get darker..i used ebony wood stain on a bow recently ..and it got dark where i wanted it dark ..and light where i didnt.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 11:08:28 pm »
Die or stain the rawhide before you apply it to the bow. Get it the color you want it and glue it down.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC