Author Topic: Problem Even Before the Start  (Read 6093 times)

links0311

Problem Even Before the Start
« on: December 09, 2007, 08:40:04 pm »
I found a nice piece of yew off of eBay and a PA friend of mine and I split the cost. After looking it over he said it was a good piece of wood (no knots or cracks, straight lines, etc.) but that it's a low density yew, not quite as dense as some others he's seen. Will this be a problem for me? I bought this wood to make a warbow out of. If I back it with hickory and keep it a little thicker than normal, will that make up for the low density of the yew? I am looking to make a 100# bow. Thanks.

-Links

Offline adb

Re: Problem Even Before the Start
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 10:33:13 am »
Hi,
What exactly do you mean by low density? The specific gravity? Or, the growth rings are far apart? If it's a good piece of yew, like you say, and you plan on backing it with hickory, it should make a fine bow. If you want 100+#, keep it long, and make it bend full circle. Horn nocks would probably be a good idea as well, although, with the hickory back, it would be OK without them. Good luck!

links0311

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 11:29:40 am »
By my understanding after talking with my friend it's more a specific gravity issue. I just got done reading the book Longbow by Robert Hardy and am excited to try and make my own warbow. Thanks for the help.

-Links

Offline markinengland

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:22 pm »
A heavy bow can be made of low density wood if it is built more massive.
A heavy bow can be made of high density wood, will be about the same final mass but will be dimensionally smaller in section.
If you want to get the maximum draw weight make the bow the maximum section that the wood will allow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 02:39:07 pm »
Backing the bow with Hickory will help to make a smaller bow dimensionally. Reflexing the bow when you glue the backing will also help with any additional set it may pick up from making a heavy draw weight bow of low density wood.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:10:23 pm »
I would not even think about backing it - if it isn't a board. A backing is really degrading to a nice piece of yew, if you ask me :P

I recently made a 115# @ 32" warbow from a very low density piece of yew. It's 41x36mm at the center, and 80" ntn, so it's huge, but does that matter? - if you're not looking for a flightbow though. :)

So get it down to approx a single growthring, and go for it ;)

links0311

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:41:30 pm »
Backing is an interesting idea. 80" ktk that's long. This piece is only 72" end to end. So the bow will probably be a 70"er. If I did back, would you choose hickory or bamboo?

-Links

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 08:21:35 am »
I would use Hickory
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 02:28:20 am »
I would use bamboo

Offline Badger

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:04 pm »
If the wood is low density yew I would use ash or maple if some were available or very thin pice of hickory. Steve