Author Topic: Finally Finished  (Read 1904 times)

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
Finally Finished
« on: August 31, 2014, 06:57:46 pm »
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share my latest creation; I made a bow for a friend of mine. I would call it a flatbow, it is made of pacific yew, 64" ntn, 45 # draw at his draw length of 27". It was originally supposed to be something else but it turned this way and it is very functional. I did end up staining it a dark brown because that's what he wanted but I didn't get a chance to take a picture of it and this build forced me to build my first homemade string because I broke the one I bought for it the night before he was going to pick it up :embarassed: so I stayed up late and made an endless loop string out of B55 Polyester by following the directions in TBB vol. 2 and it worked. This bow is not a well crafted weapon but I'm proud of it because its the second bow I've built and my first unbacked bow and I have a soft spot for unbacked bows and I was proud of my first homemade string and I'm embarrassed that I ever bought a string now because its not that tough to make an endless string. I finished it on August 22nd, and my friends & I had a get together last night because most of them are returning to college this week and the friend I made it for took it home last night. The other bow in one of the pictures is my first home made bow, that's cherry bark backed red oak bow, I included it for comparison. That's it, all your comments are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,
Aaron

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:04:19 pm by ajbruggink »

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Finally Finished
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »
She looks good, Aaron, both bows do but you know we need a full draw pic.  >:(   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 07:07:03 pm »
My bad, I'll get one as soon as possible  ;D

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:19:36 am »
Here's the bow at full draw

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:35:35 am »
The outer limbs look stiff.  How do they shoot?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline ajbruggink

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:34:38 am »
I think it shoots fine and my friend said it 'feels good' but if this type of attitude were acceptable then everyone would carry tapered branches for bows to their treestands. I think when I read to tiller a D-bow so that it takes no visible set in the last 8 inches is what made me make them stiff, took that way too literally. This bow does perform better than my cherry bark backed red oak bow, despite similar string follow and being shorter, this bow shoots noticeably faster than my first bow. I noticed a tiny amount of handshock but it didn't bother me that much but handshock means inadequate tillering and wasted energy, therefore I have work to do my tillering. Which means building more bows :)