Author Topic: Pecan tree??  (Read 2511 times)

joewaco78

Pecan tree??
« on: January 09, 2008, 12:39:15 am »
I was helping a friend trim some branches off the pecan tree... And I wondered... Would this wood make a decent bow? I cut off a nice decently straight piece bout 7 inch around and about 6 ft... So is this worth it to split it up and see what i can make? Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Thanx Joe

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Pecan tree??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 01:22:27 am »
Hi,  I have absolutely no experience with pecan, but I do know pecan is a type of hickory.  It's usually ranked as the weakest of the hickories, but you've got the wood, so what do you have to loose?  I'd say go for it, just over build the bow(s) compared to hickory by making them a little wider & longer.  Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Rich Saffold

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 02:14:47 am »
Ya its good stuff. Cut all you can.. Treat it like Ron said.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:34:06 am »
pecan is tough wood. 2" wide limbs and at least 62-64" long stave will make a fine bow. pecan is not as tough as pignut hickory but a lot stronger than oak.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter