Author Topic: Crazy Spine Cane Arrows  (Read 6021 times)

Online Eric Krewson

Re: Crazy Spine Cane Arrows
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 02:23:12 pm »
Here is one of my reinforced nocks, pretty simple. I doubt if the cane is 1/16" thick after I drilled out the center for the ramin dowel. The nock end is mostly hardwood.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 04:25:03 pm »
     I started out making cane arrows with the foreshaft and nock inserts, but haven't used them in quite a while now.  I cut self nocks now and just sand a point taper and glue on a point just like it isn't hollow in the middle.  I haven't experienced a broken point yet with a failure in the self nock or the point taper.  I do wrap just below the nock with thread and superglue.  I think my cane arrows have gotten better since I started spine testing them.  One side of the shaft is going to be the stiff side and I mark it with a sharpie during the spine testing.  I bet when you rotated that arrow to cock feather in, you were turning that stiff side to the bow.  With all the care you can take, there is nothing else to do but shoot them and see if it is a good arrow or not.  You turn out such excellent work on your bows, I hope to see some of your arrows posted up later.   

Good luck with your shoulder.  I had rotator cuff/torn bicep surgery June 26.  The summer wasn't a cake walk, but I followed the doctor's and therapists instructions to the letter and am pleased to announce that I can pull a 60lb draw now.   The doctor that performs the surgery really matters.  PM me if you want to and I will tell you about my experience.     
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Online Eric Krewson

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 10:07:38 am »
I had the big head when I started making cane arrows, all of them shot great but that is only 5 arrows so far. The last on I made looked great, was almost perfectly straight, but shot awful, I needed a dose of reality.

I stopped on the side of the road on my way hunting yesterday evening (didn't see anything) and cut some more cane. I didn't look at it closely, when I did I found every section between the nodes had a deep groove that ran the entire length of the section, no round wood in the entire trunk. I pitched them in a ditch on my way out. I know where some good stuff grows.