Author Topic: bow making with hand tools  (Read 19432 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: bow making with hand tools
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2015, 10:59:01 pm »
Well, I personally wouldn't buy that one. I would look for one that is American made. I believe that one is cast. I would at least try to find one that is not casted. JMO Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2015, 12:06:19 am »
Ok now that's chinese for me....
What do you mean by "cast"?

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2015, 01:29:34 pm »
Ok now that's chinese for me....
What do you mean by "cast"?

I think he means the metal is cast, like cast iron, where hot metal is poured into a mold.  I have never even heard of that for files of any sort, but many manufacturers do run blanks through a rolling jig to cut/ raise the teeth, which is not as good as somone cutting the teeth in by hand onto the annealed blank, and then heating and quenching the steel to harden it.    I don't klnow manufacturers by reputation for farriers rasps.  I just bought what they had at the seed and feed store, 15.00 and it was great.

You might want to look into the "shinto" rasps, too.  A very clever design, and not too expensive.  Ebay has some, last I looked.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 01:59:54 pm »
I actually got in contact with a farrier that pointed me to her supplyer. He's got USA made rasps for 110 NIS (about 25$).

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 02:58:54 pm »
Cast metal, the file is made from liquid metal that is pored into a form the shape of a  file. There's no doubt that It will remove wood but if you look a bit more you should be able to find one that is solid steel for around 20 bucks! Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 03:08:45 pm »
Sounds like you are on the right track arachnid! I just think that you will be much happier with one like that. It should last you a life time.

Springbuck I have some files that I got from Lowe's when I first started and they are cast. Junk at best and the teeth are uneven on some of the rougher ones as well. I dropped one on the concert on purpose and it broke in 3 pieces. So I just use them for things I don't want to use my good ones for.

Sorry I forgot you aren't in the US. Good luck and let us see your file when you get one. Patrick

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 09:02:47 pm »
  I never used anyting but a chainsdaw. HATCH,DRAWKNIFE,RASPS,SCRAPERS,SAND PAPER BY HAND. Maybe in 10 years after I get a little older a little hurter. After 23 years of building sefbows all bows right now I'm not there yet. Besides I like the exture work.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2015, 07:06:24 pm »
I use a draw knife and then Ferrier's rasp.  On red oak boards I only use the draw knife cautiously because it removes unwanted gouges occasionally.  Heck u could make a bow with just that if it didn't need to be purdy.
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln