Author Topic: Sinew backed hickory bow dimensions  (Read 6626 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: Sinew backed hickory bow dimensions
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2015, 12:57:16 am »
   Comancheria,

I think i know who that guy is.If its who i think it is,he learned how to do it from another guy i know.

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 10:00:13 am »
Thank you all very much for your advice. I have much to consider at this point as I don't have a lot of time to enjoy the craft these days. My wife and I just had our first child and a two week old doesn't care if I really want to floor tiller my latest stave! I will post pictures as soon as I can. Again, thank you all very much!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2015, 10:39:50 am »
The 68" hickory stave should make you a very nice selfbow as it stands.
 You won't get the full potential from the sinew with TB glues. It will make a good, strong backing but only add a little performance if any.
Being made from the same protein the sinew/hide glue forms a matrix with both substances combining making it one and shrinking and stretching in unison to preform it's magic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newbreedarcher

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 11:55:15 pm »
So my uncle gave me dried carp pike and musky swim bladders. Can I do like a 50/50 mix with the Knox? To get more time to work with it but still have quicker drying time than all bladder glue?

gutpile

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:24 am »
honestly if your not in a dry climate sinew on hickory is a bad choice..1 good reason..hickory is very hygroscopic..it absorbs moisture..so drying a hickory to below 12 % to preferably 9 has to be done indoors...or it will never get below 12... with sinew being wet when applied and hickory being so light when dry, I found it to hinder performance rather increase it....now if you were in Arizona Id say go for it... why back it unless its a board... hickory is a beast on tension and compression....gut