Author Topic: Wood id please..  (Read 3689 times)

Offline akila

Wood id please..
« on: December 27, 2014, 05:16:34 pm »
Hello..i found today a piece of wood, and first i tought that its hazelnut, becose of the little straight pieces that grow at the base of the bigger piece, and they war all really straight, so i taught it is hazelnut..it was quite dark outside, and i couldnt realy see the colore of the bark, etc, so i took it aniway...when i arrived home, i  could finaly see the colore, and i think it is some kind of Cornus wood, but im not 100% sure..so, maybe you guys have a better ideea :)

The colore is green, with some brown spots , and i know it sounnds funny, but it smels exactly  like the leaves, that we use to rub our hands when i was a child, to make jokes on other kids..we use to rub our hands with this stuff, and then, rub the face of other kids with our palms, and its not a very pleasent feeling..it stains..:)). Thats why i think its some Cornus type..

Offline Webradbury

Re: Wood id please..
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 06:18:02 pm »
Where bouts are you located?

Offline akila

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 06:25:44 pm »
Germany..:)

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 08:39:32 pm »
Does it smell medinicey, if so, it could be Champfor, it has little black berries on it about 1/4" dia. it will actually make a decent bow.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »
Looks like a dogwood to me as you suspected. Hard to say what type given that you'll have imported and native types over there.
 We have one over here that looks very similar. The shoots from the parent plant are often that green color.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 11:12:05 pm »
I don't think there is Camphor in Germany.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 03:35:31 am »
All I can say is it's definitely not hazel!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 05:38:54 am »
Impossible to tell with just those two pictures. Do you have a pic of the leaves? Or the end grain of the wood? Where was it growing? Underneath big spruce trees, in a ditch along a road, near a dump site?
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline akila

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 06:58:10 am »
I dont know f the smell is medicinal...but it smels funny when you take the bark of..wel it reminded me of my childhood aniway...i found it along a big river here...there are alot of trees, and bushes , that grow here, but the dominant tree here is Beech...the trees are empty now unfortunatly, and i cannot take pictures of the leaves, or fruits, or anithing els...the rings on this particular piece, are not verry big..2-3mm thick maximum

I'v searched more on the internet, and i found somethign that look quite similar to what i have..the bark specialy..Cornus Alternifolia..might be this one..

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 09:50:44 am »
Definitely Dogwood  and the Alternate leaf variety is what I was describing here. I don't know if it has been planted over there but that looks identical to me.
 Many of the dogwoods have very hard tough wood although I will say that Alternate leaf and Red Osier are on the softer side.
 Dry a piece and see how it is.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2014, 10:43:51 am »
C. alternatifolia is the only Cornus with alternate leaves. Do you have any of the twigs from this tree?  Also, with C. alternatifolia(aka Pagoda Dogwood) when the branches de on the tree they turn a yellowish color that is quite obvious this time of year.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline akila

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2014, 01:08:27 pm »
Nope...i dont have anithing els..the rest of the branches , had quite a dark colore..nothing yellow arounde there..green=gray colore.Well at least i know that it is a type of Dogwood, wich is aniway  not to bad :)..the sapling is 72" long,  I'v already, reduced it a little bit, and now is waiting in the seller, fora while,where the temp., is not to warm, and in 2 weeks or so, i will start working a little moore on it, reduce it even moore, and thenn leave it allone untill it will be dry..thanks alot for all your help..:)

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2014, 01:33:02 pm »
Is it not perhaps just your Common dogwood? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornus_sanguinea

Offline bowster

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2014, 02:50:25 pm »
Itīs dogwood(das ist Hartriegel).

Offline akila

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:05 am »
Danke..;)..i wass all most sure, becose of the smell..there are aniway so many diferent species, but its aniway decent wood...to bad i cannot find Cornus Mas, in a decent length...I'v built in the past verry good bows out of this wood..verry short bows, and with 28" drawlength..well, I'm happy aniway that i could find this stuff..i never worked with, so it will be nice to try something new..:)..Thanks again for all your help