Author Topic: Trying to tan some hides  (Read 6374 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Trying to tan some hides
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:17:58 am »
Pappy, the pictures are still there when I view it.  Don't know whats up on your end.  The buck hide I want to tan has been in the freezer for a year and a half.  I usually don't have the time to mess with many projects when its deer killin' season.

Greg, I used the white handled knife in the pictures.  Its just a straight blade with a square tip.  I'm planning on making a quiver out of the fawn.  The chipmunks were just something to learn on.  I might find a use for them  ;)
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:02:09 am »
Pictures are back, I don't either but I try and take the time to flesh ,then roll up and freeze, then when I am ready I can thaw and ready to do what ever The plan is, In my case usually rack and dry scrape the hair, then tan. The trouble with hair on deer hide for projects where their is wear and tear is the hair is hollow and nothing like fur so it breaks off and will get everywhere when worn. I love them to lay on a table or something like that. Love the fawn hide, that is sweet looking. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 11:36:57 pm »
Tonight I scraped off the salt and put it in a salt water solution to soak for 6-8 hours.  Tomorrow morning I'm getting up early to rinse them off and wash them with dawn dish soap.  I'm about halfway through the instructions so far.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 09:25:32 am »
The next step is the most important.  I woke up extra early before the wife woke up and I rinsed the hides out in the kitchen sink  ;D  Then I washed them with dish soap and rinsed again.  I had just finished cleaning up all the water mess when the wife walked into the kitchen.  She puts up with a lot of stuff but I think washing animal hides in her kitchen sink would cross the line into the danger zone.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 10:07:21 am »
The hides are hanging up and drip drying.  I'm hoping they are dry enough to apply the tanning solution before I have to leave this afternoon.

Here is the solution that I will be using.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 10:09:44 am »
I was thinking about not putting the solution on the chipmunks.  Could I let them dry like they are?  Would they be like rawhide?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »
They would be raw(untanned)hide!  I'm curious to see how they turn out Clint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RyanR

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 10:39:11 pm »
That was one heck of a fleshing job Clint. That took a lot of patience.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 12:40:22 am »
Thanks Ryan. 

I put the solution on the hides, massaged it in, and folded them in half.  I'm supposed to leave it like that for 12-16 hours and then I hang them up to slowly dry.  If it works like the bottle says it does I should have finished tanned hides in 2-3 days after they slowly dry.  We'll see   :-\

Offline chamookman

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 05:06:36 am »
Enjoying this thread Outlaw. I've always wondered about the "bottled" tanning solutions. By the way, OUTSTANDING job scrapeing those hides. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 09:40:59 am »
Looking good Clint! Can't wait to check them out

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 07:25:36 am »
I tanned a red fox with that same solution.  It works pretty well.  I just have to learn to flesh the hides better.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 08:49:18 am »
Ya fleshing is key to a soft hide. :) Looking forward to seeing them finished Clint. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good