Author Topic: Red Oak "Built-Along"  (Read 5499 times)

Offline Kegan

Red Oak "Built-Along"
« on: January 24, 2008, 08:48:44 pm »
I'm working on foive bows, but I did a build along showing young compounders that it isn't that hard to make their own selfbows. So, a simple red oak hunting bow :).

Here it is- $7 red oak board and a paper bag backing. It's 70", 73# @ 27". It's 1 1/2" wide over most of its length with narrowed tips. It only took me a a few days. It's wide, faltbow style limbs and D design makes this bow a very nice shooter- with a good string that is. It took just over an inch and a half of set. I did some doodling on the back with Sharpie. This is my second successful board bow, first one that was actually decent (the other had a hinge and was way to narrow).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Red Oak "Built-Along"
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 10:04:59 pm »
Looks good. Nice job.  Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 10:21:15 pm »
Good looking bow Kegan.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline david w.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »
great looking bow love the pattern on the back. :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 10:32:08 am »
Another nice one Kegan, I have to admire a man on a mission, yer a bow making machine.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 10:53:55 am »
Nice job young man,you really know how to turn them out. :) You have really came a long way in a short time.We are all proud of you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 11:03:58 am »
Good lookin board bow Kegan - I  see your keeping them strong "70 pounds". I got a couple red oak boards in the corner need to finish..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Dakotian

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:47:05 am »
Well done, I like the simple design, I think I shall use similar dimensions for my next project.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 01:11:21 pm »
Thanks everyone ;D! I still like stick bows made from sticks, but I'm definately impressed by board bows now. and thanks Pappy ;D. I've had alot of inspiration and wonderful examples to learn from :)!

cowboy- Yup, I like 'em heavy :).

And I learned something- til now I always tried to offset the limbs on my wide handle bow, but this one had the string on center. So when I went to shoot I found my hand turning the bow slightly, making it shoot straight and fast out to 40 yards. Save thiirty minutes trying to offset natural staves limbs, or turn it a little. Hmmm ;)?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:17:31 pm by Kegan »

duffontap

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 01:49:35 pm »
Nice work Kegan.  You would make H. Hill proud. 

J. D.

paleryder

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 08:38:19 pm »
Nice bow. What are the thickness dimensions at center and at mid limb? Thanks.

Aidan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 09:36:38 pm »
You are the man Kegan.  I do suspect that one day like me you will wake up with a hernia. The question is will you start downsizing then?  I think I'm due for another before I learn.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kegan

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »
You are the man Kegan.  I do suspect that one day like me you will wake up with a hernia. The question is will you start downsizing then?  I think I'm due for another before I learn.  Justin

Hmmm... depends on how bad it is ;).

Then again, lighter bows and arrow (like the West Coasters) require smaller pieces of wood ;D.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 03:20:14 pm »
Hernias arent so bad...I have had one repaired and I am back to weightlifting already (surgery was in October) My friend Al has had four repaired and he bench presses a little over four hundred.  He was back in the gym two weeks after his last one.....Hell Kegan the monster will probably rehab using a 90#bow lol
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 04:05:08 pm by stiknstring »