Author Topic: otzi the iceman replica bow (yew no sap)  (Read 16466 times)

Offline Markus

Re: otzi the iceman replica bow (yew no sap)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 01:41:02 pm »

Nr two from the left is a Yew heartwood bow. 72" ntn, 40 lbs at 28". 3cm wide at center tapering to 1/2" nocks. Removed sapwood which was damaged. Not a highstacked belly, rather shallow.
No problem at all.

Offline Markus

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 01:51:35 pm »

From left. Juniper, Yew heartwood, Hickory(colored), Mirabelle and Oak.

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 10:54:39 pm »
thank you very much for all of your replies I think things got a little confusing I am NOT making an exact replica bow I am merely making a replica style bow meaning my interpretation of what that BOw stave was goong to become ... and from All the evidence i would think it was on its way to become a 60# LONGBOW unbacked with no sapwood.  The piece of yew im useing is a split damaged tree so there is no sapwood there. I can ether chase a ring ... or have grain lines (several growthrings ) running down the back of the bow . I will recieve this yew stave (along with one premium yew stave for a flat bow im building and a nice vine maple stave too ) by fri this week ... im also recieving some copper bus and will be making a copper axe to ruff the bow out with
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:30 pm »
Otzi Bow Axe: http://youtu.be/vitkzhs3Iog

This video is adressed to me its from the challeger and it shows a bow he made from the same dmaged yew tree . This guy is my yew dealer ive been useing him for years . He allways throws a bunch of free stuff in with my purchase (like this free heartwood yew stave and copper bus ) so this challenge must be met .
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline rockrush69

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 11:13:16 pm »
I will be doing a complete build along on the otzi bow and copper axe too so.  Sure to check me out on my channel and subscribe . Ill post the vids on here too :) god i hope it doesent break ! Lol