Author Topic: Heat treating with nothing but a kettle  (Read 1542 times)

Offline bambam

Heat treating with nothing but a kettle
« on: March 19, 2015, 06:55:15 pm »
Working on my second purely primitive bow (serviceberry). The first one looked perfect but a knot on the back caused it to delimanate 2 growth rings. Anyway I want to make this one as straight as possible but with a slight reflex-deflex to counter any set. Have been simply very slowly pouring boiling water from a kettle on the area I want to bend over a sink then putting pressure on it on a work bench edge. This seems to work really well. Thought it might be a tip for other newbies.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline wizardgoat

Re: Heat treating with nothing but a kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:56:51 pm »
A good ol fashion steaming works great too

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 07:18:29 pm »
Are you heat treating with boiling water, or heat bending. Seems to me you're using the boiling water to aid in bending wood. That's very different from heat treating, which involves dry heat.

Offline bambam

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:10 pm »
I'm new at this so it sounds like it is heat bending with boiling water. You experienced guys have all kinds of tools-etc but people starting into primitive need basic stuff. Anyway it seems to work pretty well.
He was honest for a politician, meaning he would not steal a red hot stove.   Mark Twain

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 10:30:16 pm »
Thanks for tip.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 05:36:54 am »
No reason that won't work, just got more drying time to deal with that you don't have using dry heat.  :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good