Author Topic: First TX flint point  (Read 2622 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
First TX flint point
« on: March 22, 2015, 08:14:52 pm »
I've finally made some huntworthy bows and arrows.  I decided this is the year I finally learn to knapp.  After a few failed attempts this is the first arrow head I managed to keep in one piece.  I'm using the nice looking one (that I obviously didn't create) next to it as an example of what I'm striving for.  I'm happy to have one hold in one piece.  I feel like I could have basically done everything a bit better but it's progress.  Feedback is welcome.  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: First TX flint point
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 08:24:37 pm »
Rob, looks pretty good, also looks like some Kinley rock. I been trying all day to get a couple of nice fluted Clovis. Later Bob

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:49:47 pm »
Looks good.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 07:00:40 am »
Looks like Keokuk to me which is from OK.  Nice looking point will make a good arrow.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 09:00:59 am »
Steve, after a second look this morning It sure does look like keokuk, has that orange healed fracture. Rob either way still a nice start just keep hitting'em,  Bob

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 09:55:09 am »
I'll third that keokuk, it may have washed down to tx  :). Either way, heck of a first! That point'll hunt.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 11:19:44 am »
Keokuk, but either way, are you sure you want to start learning to knapp.  It's a never ending ride.  >:D but it looks like you have a good start going.   Keep it up.

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
The website I bought it from said TX flint but I have no idea.  I just need rock to break for now.  Thought the chert is just frustrating, for now at least.  I can see how a lot of time can be invested in this.  Sometimes I think I've been knapping for 30 minutes but it's actually 2 hours later.  :)  It is incredibly interesting thus far.  At one level it just smacking rocks and such together but there is so much depth and beauty in it as well.  Well not in what I'm doing yet...  :P  ;D  I'm jumping in with both feet.  A box of obsidian is OTW! 

what is the difference between TX flint and Keokuk?
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline le0n

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2015, 02:19:22 pm »
^^ that looks great. keep at it.

A box of obsidian and bandaids is OTW! 

^^ fixed :)

Offline Patches

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2015, 02:22:37 pm »
Rob,  First off I am new to knapping too, and yep, it is definitely addicting.  I spent 6 hours working on two points Saturday afternoon and never realized it. 

As for the difference in Texas chert and Keokuk, I was told last fall that Texas chert is better for hunting points because it holds a sharper edge than Keokuk.  I showed a guy the Keokuk points I had made for hunting, he kinda grunted, and said that I should put them in a case cause those will never be sharp enough to hunt with, and that I should get me some Texas chert.  I did, and I must admit that the Texas chert does seem to have a sharper edge. But that is just a new knapper's opinion based on what I was told by an old knapper. 

Best of luck with you points! 

Neal   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."