Author Topic: A debate  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: A debate
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 11:07:08 am »
First off, well said Jon.  Slackbunny it sounds as though you're saying half the Canadian military  or at least a sizable portion is absolute scum?  That would be the irony I mentioned in response to Marks post.  You are free to express your opinion however much I find it distasteful and disrespectful towards the people who protect your freedom.  That includes to a large degree those that you refer to as "absolute scum".  I'll back on out of this at this point and leave one parting promise.  Like Zuma said, if you're in, I'm buying.  Josh

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
I never said half. But yes, I've met enough distasteful military people to know that just being in the military does not make you a respectable person. I know that these people are are in the minority, not necessarily a significant minority, but certainly not a negligible minority.

If you already are an upstanding respectable person, military service makes you distinctly more so. But that one good thing doesn't turn a crappy person into a good one. Military service is a good mark on anyone's track record. But an ass is an ass regardless of what uniform it wears.

I really am not trying to discredit the military or service people in general. I'm only making the point that just like every other group of people out there, you can't accurately make blanket statements about the maturity or character of its members based solely on their membership in that particular group.

Some of the best people I know are military. Also some of the worst. What conclusion is there to make other than the military has a wide range of individuals, with a wide range of characteristics both good and bad?

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 03:04:12 pm »
Having served 5 years I met few folks I had to serve with I didnt care for. Asses to the troops and even their wife. One guy in my squadron died when one of our birds went down. He had been cheating for a long time. His wife had one child by him and was carrying another. When she fou d out he died she was so upset she miscarried.  Poor woman didnt even know the man she married wasnt even worth the grief that cost her her unborn baby.

Yeah, there's some real jerks who deserve no honor. The military does punish those who commit crimes when caught but because of the brotherhood among us, its hard to get found out. We need to know the other guy has our back even if we dont like him.  Seen plenty of fights, insane insults, gross actions between service members. You would be amazed at how some conduct themselves.  We look good in formation but afterwards,  integrity really is who you are when nobody is looking. It would be nieve to think otherwise.

For those who dont know, gun doc, your support for us is welcome and appreciated.  But relax on  slackbunny. He has a valid point. On the other hand, if your buying, I may just shut up.....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Josh B

« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
I'm being as relaxed as I possibly can on this subject and only that through no small effort of will.  I would be happy to buy the first round should ever our paths cross Sleek.  But that is a different matter than the discussion at hand.  We are civilians far removed from the 18 yr olds in harms way that we once were.  Speaking  for myself, I neither need nor expect any special treatment for my service long ago.  That being said, I will always defend the honor of those that are defending our freedom abroad.  Are there  those in the service that slipped through the cracks? Sure.  But they are the exception not the rule.  I won't stand for the extreme majority to be condemned by the actions of a very scant few.  Thanks to their sacrifices and commitment you can say what you want about them or anything else, but so can I and I will decide how relaxed I will be when I say it.  Josh

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2015, 07:06:23 pm »
Thats fine Gun Doc and certainly the few dont set the standard the many. Out of 200 people I knew 3 I thought were dirt bags. They held the same of me so at least we were even.

Anyways I said my piece and am disengaging from this topic. Maybe one day we can have a drink together, until then, see you in another topic :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others