Author Topic: string Length and handle  (Read 4077 times)

Offline huntertrapper

string Length and handle
« on: January 30, 2008, 09:20:02 pm »
As some have seen my post from earlier i have the 50 year old longbows. the one is a 55 pounder. The other is a 45 pounder. The 45 had a string. anyway, i have 2 ?'s
Can the string shrink at all over the years, its just a regular string you'd buy at the store, (not sinew or rawhide)? Also the string is about 5 inches short of the string nock, is that too short or not? should i get another shorter string? Thanks for any help that you guys can give me. Hold on, another question. The handles pulled apart there was just one piece glued on to the whole bow itself. The one i glue, rapped tight with artificial sinew and sewed a tight handle too. will this work for a whille? What would be best to keep the handle set for good? thanks
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: string Length and handle
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 11:49:45 pm »
Sand or scrape off all of the Old Glue from both pieces....use Titebond2 ...or Titebond Hide Glue on both pieces....and c-clamp them back together, but make sure that you put something between the c=clamps and the handle and Bow Back....to keep from damaging the Wood....like a piece of leather...or thin wood....then once this has set...then you can make a new Leather Handle.....but remember these Bows are as old as Me....so be gentle...and let them remember that they are Bows not just a Piece of wood thats been hanging around a Closet for decades
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 12:12:31 am »
thanks that pretty much what i did. and trust me im babying them. they are the only bows i can use if i dont get a good bow made for archery. and i dont want to have to resort buying a bow. thanks again yankee
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:10:11 am »
I would probably get a longer string to start with or take that one off and hang it by the loop
with a weight  alb.or 2 for a while and let it stretch back out.most are 3 4 in. shorter than the bow when unstrung.You can get the brace set after you work it back in some. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good