Author Topic: grip style?  (Read 3994 times)

Offline jayman448

grip style?
« on: June 03, 2015, 08:06:16 pm »
I am struggling with my decision to commit to tgree under or split. I started with three under and it feels more natural but i recently switched to split finger because i see the target more and can reach out longer distances (at fourty yards with three under the bow is in the way so i miss) it seems the accuracy isnt that much dfferent. So who shoots what and for what reasons please? And extra advise would be great

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: grip style?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 12:09:50 am »
I've always shot split fingers. Have for a long time and never saw a reason to change.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 04:39:20 am »
Split finger also, never heard of 3 under when I started years ago or I may have tried it. I know lots of folks that shoot 3 under.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 11:23:14 am »
I shoot split finger, I tried 3 finger under a couple of times and it just doesn't feel right to me. My release has got a lot better when I learned to have more even pulling on all three fingers instead of loading up on my ring finger like I did before and I when I began to use a pull through release, I touch my shoulder with my thumb when I release now, instead of letting go of the string, which is called a static release. These two things have helped me considerably with my release. In 'Instinctive Shooting' by G. Fred Asbell, he discusses that problem with 3 finger under with the arrow getting in the way at longer ranges, it puts the arrow too high. Most 3 finger under shooters I've seen anchor with their index finger at the corner of their mouth instead of the middle finger at the corner of the mouth like a lot of guys do, me included. Also 3 finger under shooters often have a higher nocking point, a 1/2" above center, which would put the arrow even higher.

Aaron

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 11:51:33 am »
When I teach people how to shoot, I always teach split fingered, but I always tell folks that you will never be able to shoot accurately if what you're doing doesn't feel comfortable. If you can figure out something that feels better, and you can still put arrows where they need to be, then there's no wrong way to shoot.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 08:32:02 pm »
When I teach people how to shoot, I always teach split fingered, but I always tell folks that you will never be able to shoot accurately if what you're doing doesn't feel comfortable. If you can figure out something that feels better, and you can still put arrows where they need to be, then there's no wrong way to shoot.
+1

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:55:25 am »
For me personally? 3 under sounds like a bat hitting a 55 gallon drum when I shoot. Split finger makes the same exact bow almost silent.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 11:53:19 am »
  People that gap shoot uslly use 3 under. It's a lot harder to get a clean release shoot instive with 3 under. It's use'lly go's along with aiming the arrow or arrow tip ( gap shooting) Not to many instintive shooters that shoot 3 under.

I've always shot instintive using split firgers over 25 years ago. Never saw a reason to change.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:59 pm »
I'm going to mess everyone up and say I use a thumb ring, lol.