Author Topic: Difference in shooting selfbows  (Read 3104 times)

Offline BrokenArrow

Difference in shooting selfbows
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:38:08 pm »
I was wondering after making numerous self bows, how many bows a guy uses to enhance their shooting skills as they all shoot differently and you have to adjust from bow to bow.
I shoot off my hand so I'm not talking about the difference between centershot versus shooting off the hand.

Offline JonW

Re: Difference in shooting selfbows
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:47:06 pm »
I shoot instinctively and I shoot a different bow nearly every time I shoot. I think it helps MY shooting. A little adjustment from bow to bow is all.

Offline bow101

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 04:04:46 pm »
I just got into this addiction about 3 years ago.  I find that center shot enhances my shooting ability.  But then again I'm not an intermediate archer either.  I had an arrow about 2 weeks ago hit my hand and a quill went into it.  So shooting off the hand does turn my crank.  >:D   Its like driving a car without a door.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:15:35 pm »
The laws of physics are the same for all arrow flight, the curve of the trajectory always follows the same laws, just flatter with a faster bow.
The bow lets you feel the speed so you soon zone in.
The time it doesn't work so well is when the arrows don't match the bow, but even then we zone in fairly quick.
I'm only just getting back to shooting my regular bow, sure it's better than some of the others I'd shot in the meantime, but some of that was psychological, some was a niggling pull between my shoulder blades, some was it's better matched to my regular arrows.
A bow is a bow, even a modern recurve, as long as you throw away all the ironmongery they bolt to it >:D
To use Glenn St Charles' expression, your "inner computer" soon works it out if you let it. He tells of the early days of compounds which he just couldn't shoot 'cos they fooled his inner computer... he experimented to find a lesser amount of let off that didn't mess his head and then he was ok with 'em.
With self bows, there isn't a great speed difference between bows of the same draw weight, unless one is a real dog! (Others may disagree with this)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:16:39 pm »
wrapping the feathers on the front will help put the door back on,,  :)

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 01:39:18 pm »
Feathers hitting your hand is because your nocking point is too low. Once set right they will never hit your hand. A shelf will let you get away with having the nocking point a little off. Pain is a great teacher! ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 03:35:06 pm »
I shoot many different bows throughout the year and shoot them all pretty well. About a month before hunting season I pick two bows that shoot similar and they are my hunting bows, generally one in particular.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 06:49:30 pm »
Different strokes for different folks.  Kind of like shooting style some use bare fingers, others use gloves or tabs and others shoot split others shoot 3 under;  me like a shelf or a small rest.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »
I have the same line of thought that Pat has. I build,and shoot a lot of bows all year,but try to focus on a certain bow or two during hunting season. Another thing I do to try to keep consistent is shoot arrows that are matched to the bows pull. I try to shoot arrows in the 11-13 grains per pound of draw weight with every bow. This way,every bow hits pretty close to the same spot whether its 10 yards or 40 yards. JMHO   God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas