Author Topic: Burlap  (Read 2422 times)

Offline kid bow

Burlap
« on: June 12, 2015, 12:15:37 pm »
Does burlap work as a good backing
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Burlap
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 12:27:40 pm »
I've never used it but George Tsoukalas likes it, I think.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »
I used it on my first bow.  I shot that bow about 100 times and thought I was a natural bowyer . . . and then it exploded on me!  The top limb completely snapped through the burlap and smacked me in the face.  No harm to my face but my ego got corrected the hard way!  I haven't used burlap since but I don't think it is a bad choice.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 01:43:22 pm »
Never used it. My feelings on backing are simple. They have to do something advantageous to be worth the hassle. Burlap and brown paper bag aren't on my list as bow backings.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 07:22:51 pm »
I think if you want it to have an apocalyptic/primitive look it is kind of a cool look, but I don't think it really adds protection, so if your looking for a  kind of mad max/robin hood look go for it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:02 pm »
Yes, I've used it back in the day. Burlap is sissal or jute. It's a plant fiber.
There's also some imitation stuff around but I would not use that.
It is not as good a backing  as rawhide or linen but it will offer some protection.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 07:31:02 am »
I've never used it. I can see it offering some protection from bumps and dings from use, but couldnt imagine it would do much to improve tension qualities or keep splinters from lifting. Heck, I've had splinters lift under rawhide.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 09:56:40 am »
Burlap just doesnt have enough fibres in it to make a big enough difference.  Go to the store and buy sisal or jute  cordage, break it down to the smallest strands and glue the on with hide glue or tight bond. Lay them up so the touch left to right and run longways. That will cover the entire back and give good protection.  Done it before.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others