Author Topic: White Pine  (Read 9232 times)

ArOns

Re: White Pine
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 01:48:11 pm »
We should absolutely go for Latin names. One should think it natural to have Norway pine (Pinus resinosa) here in Norway. But in Norway we only have Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris)  ???

John R

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 02:45:50 pm »
Go figure. Anyhoo, it's been fun chatting with you all, but I better get my arse in gear and get some stuff done: I manage a nature preserve and trail system here in northern Michigan and I have to design and do the layouts for a bunch of fancy new interpretive signs in six different distinct eco zones, along with putting together a plan to maintain forest diversity after the Emerald Ash Borer gets here and knocks out our white and black ash...That and still keeping up with my bow production till our season kicks in.

Thank you for having me, John

Offline uwe

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 03:11:55 pm »
I once made a bow from pitch pine. It was a floor board which I sinewbacked. It gave about 30 pounds. An ice age museum wanted me to make such a bow. I told them I could`t believe the ancestors made sinewbacked bows in the iceage. In my tests I sorted out that a "warmer temperature" in the workshop (iceage tent) must be given for the hide glue. I didn`t try it in the tent at wintertime. It would be worth an experiment.
But they `wanted to have a bow of pine as the ancestors had. At this time only small birches and pinetrees wer growing.
I have made some pics of it but found only one. Hope to find the others...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uwe

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 04:49:57 pm »
Just found them:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:46:14 pm »
Hey thats a cool looking bow !
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline uwe

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 02:16:52 pm »
Thanks! I worked it out very careful with a lot of respect of that board which came from a house more than 100 years old.