Author Topic: Black Locust  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Black Locust
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2015, 03:10:56 pm »
Our locusts here have grub holes inside like that also. On the belly they shouldn't be a problem unless they also travel longitudinally. You can fill them with saw dust and super glue if they are not too deep.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2015, 03:19:25 pm »
I have to go down a couple more rings on the back. What happens if I hit the end of one of the holes? Then I would have a hole on the back. Not good I wouldn't think. While I'm here, is there any reason not to jump up a ring or two in the handle so one limb would be on a different ring than the other? If that's clear?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:07 pm »
If the holes go through the back, that isn't good. Basically a grain violation.
 You can leave a ring or two on the back of the handle but be sure they don't extend into the working portion of the limb.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bow101

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2015, 03:24:53 pm »
Thats what I hate about self bows sometimes you open up a can of worms.  Hopefully it can be saved, you do have the other half and another whole one correct.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2015, 03:37:01 pm »
The other half had a big knot mid limb so it was no good. The smaller one had knots such that I had to cut it into two billets. They look good other than having very little heartwood. Believe it or not now that I have the bark off they are losing around 20 grams a day. Do you remember when you cut it?

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2015, 04:25:02 pm »
I thought I marked the date on one of them, one was cut around valentines day the other bigger one was cut  last November.   The ends were sealed it should of been sitting at room temp, if so it would be totally dry by now I think.  ???

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2015, 05:11:24 pm »
Nope, when I cut it you could feel the damp and to use your test the sawdust clumped right up. And it's losing almost an ounce a day. I'm thinking that the bark should be stripped, split it and shellac the ends as soon as it's cut.

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 02:05:15 pm »
Also, when chasing the ring, those magnifying glasses can really help you keep track.

Offline DC

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2015, 02:41:17 pm »
I'm hoping it will be a little easier to chase a ring when it's drier. I read somewhere(here I think) about rubbing it with charcoal to show the rings. I'll try that too.

Offline bow101

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:07 pm »
Try lacquer thinner.

Offline DC

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:36 pm »
Lacquer thinner will show the rings?. How does that work? Do you have to mix something with it?

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 10:16:00 pm »
Does it have real thin rings i've only built two black locust bows but the rings were fairly easy to chase
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:48 pm »
I've chased a paper thin ring just fine when the wood is dry. Damp wood welcomes the blade a little too readily, what you want is to peel between late wood via the early wood.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »
It has thin rings where I'm scraping. They get thicker but going deeper increases the risk of uncovering the bug holes I found on the belly. I'll let it dry for a a while. It's still losing 10-15 grams a day.