Author Topic: Brick for paint?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Brick for paint?
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:00:39 pm »
I have not made any pigment paints yet. I have started picking up some colored stone as a start.
I live in an area that had log mills about 100yrs ago. there are a lot of red brick (in varying shades) from the old smoke stacks laying around. My question; has anyone used the old red brick for paint? if so, how well did it work? Thank you Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Brick for paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:44:01 pm »
Ed, I have heard of folks using old bricks. Just bust them up into as fine of powder as you can. I've never done it so you might want to wait until you here from someone that has.   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 05:32:53 pm »
  About 15 years ago I stained 5 dog wood arrows useing bricks. Not real dark but ok. I also once used bricks and add red clay also looked good. The clay made it to light for what I wanted. I did'nt like it so I add some charo, to darken it up. This looked good.

Crooketarrow use to use red root also yellow root (golden sell) . All kinds of berrie's ,rasberrys, purple,red and black berrys all look good on a bow.

What ever you use you won't get the rich color of store bought stains.

Depends on the person ,what they want as to what I do.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:23:23 pm »
All kinds of berrie's ,rasberrys, purple,red and black berrys all look good on a bow.
Given the way they stain everything else, I bet mulberries would stain a bow nice too...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 12:37:47 am »
We use crushed/powdered brick as one of our pigments at the spirit station on Pappy's farm during the classic.  The Brown color on the mural is what it comes out as.  Josh