Author Topic: How to properly dry a limb  (Read 1558 times)

Offline SamIAm

How to properly dry a limb
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:14:18 pm »
I'm headed to the woods to cut a small hickory tree, about 2 to 3" to make a "limb bow" I will call it.  I was wondering what the proper way to dry this "limb" for future bow making purposes.  Spray paint the ends, yes, no?  Spray the ends and strip the bark?  I'm afraid of serious checking if I remove the bark but unless I do, I will take forever to dry.  Thanks for your help.  Sam
"To thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How to properly dry a limb
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 02:25:09 pm »
Sam, the way I prep small diameter trees is to saw them in half, lengthwise then bind the two halves back together with spacers between. This will allow the wood to dry but prevent them from twisting as they dry. You can leave the bark on so the back doesn't check but do seal the ends. Paint may work but I prefer shellac or carpenters glue to seal with.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 03:10:41 pm »
LOL. There is no "proper" way.

This procedure is for 2-3 inch trees.

Seal the ends with whatever you like.

I usually look to put knots on the back. I then hold  it like I'm going to string just to see if it twists.

I mark a magic marker line to delineate back from front and hatchet out the belly wood and begin to get the limbs bending an inch or 2. That way it will dry faster.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:16:19 am »
LOL. There is no "proper" way.

I usually look to put knots on the back. I then hold  it like I'm going to string just to see if it twists.

Jawge

Jawge......not sure what you mean by putting knots of the back.  Can you clarify please?  And thanks for the input on drying a small tree or limb.

Offline SamIAm

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:02 am »
Pat....thanks for that idea; sounds like an excellent way to dry a small tree that is big enough for a couple of staves.  I will use in the future.