Author Topic: How would sinew affect a bow with a little set  (Read 1225 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
How would sinew affect a bow with a little set
« on: August 29, 2021, 12:02:55 pm »
I have a 48" stiff handled bow, it has 1/2 inch of set but is a little under weight. Two courses of sinew would put it over weight by about 5lb. Re-tillering will remove a tiny amount of the damaged wood, but presumably most of the compression damage will remain. If I do it right, I can pull in a few inches of reflex so sinew plus reflex should make a big difference? Is it worth doing now I've already put set into the bow?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How would sinew affect a bow with a little set
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 12:09:27 pm »
48" is pretty short for a stiff handle bow. What draw length and weight are you planning for this bow?
I don't like using sinew to repair an already stressed bow but I don't know what to say as far as what the results will be.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 01:43:41 pm »
Its 30 @ 22 at the moment, which is more or less where I want it to be but tiller isn't perfect so if I keep chasing tiller I'll lose a couple more. pounds. Between 30 and 35 @ 23 would be the ideal.  Part of me wants to see how much more snap I get with sinew but it may be too late to go there?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 02:12:34 pm »
It takes a lot of time and effort to sinew back a bow. If it is worth it to you, go for it. I would reflex the bow 2" to 3" while adding the sinew and as it dries which could be a couple of months, depending on the R/H in your area.
 You could add a belly lam or a hard backing to achieve your goal and it would take only a few days.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 10:03:21 am »
Bamboo is a magic backing as well.