Author Topic: Bandsaw question  (Read 1859 times)

Offline DC

Bandsaw question
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »
If I'm trying to cut a real straight line like for a splice am I better off with a three tooth or an eight tooth blade, or does it matter?

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Bandsaw question
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »
I think eight with a slow feed rate would be OK....but as far as the number of teeth, it all depends on the thickness of material your cutting.  I think but I could be wrong... you want at least three teeth per inch your cutting...Therefore if you cutting a handle to splice that is at least 1 1/2" then a three to eight tooth blade would work.  From what I understand a finer tooth blade with thicker material the slower the feed rate and nicer the saw cut.  if you cut a 1/4" thick piece of material with a three tooth per inch blade you have a chance of it catching between the teeth if you feed it too fast.
I sure hope I helped you with my explanation and not confused you.  Bottom line is the more teeth per inch the thinner material you can cut without issue.  good rule of thumb ....is three teeth per inch of material your cutting.  And slower feed rate for more teeth per inch to allow for the dust/material to be removed.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:21:03 pm »
I cut them both at the same time so 3" thick. I'll stay with 3TPI.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 04:35:58 am »
I use a 3 for just about everything, like DB said you just have to be really careful if you cut something thin, start very slow until it gets going. For splice I use the 3. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good