Author Topic: First self bow need help  (Read 1039 times)

Offline C1rcu17

First self bow need help
« on: November 30, 2015, 09:50:27 pm »
Hi I have been dabbling into making bows for the past couple years but other than one failed attempt with a board bow I havens done a whole lot.  I have spent countless hours doing research so I have a decent idea of what I should be looking for but there are still a couple things I can't find.  So I don't want to spend too much doing this so I am going to my back yard for the wood.  I live in Maine so that leaves me with red oak, Ash and Maple as my options.  I cut down a couple nice looking ash and Oaks the other day thinking I needed to let them dry two years so I wanted to be sure I had plenty to work with.  After doing more research I see a lot of people say cutting them down and letting them dry quicker has no negative effects so i want to do that.  For these types of wood do i need to coat the ends and back or is that mainly a concern with Osage?  I am also not entirely sure how long I need to let them dry before use but I also understand that depends on how you store them.

My other question is with the Oak, the ones I cut have a thick sap wood and I know with hickory you want the sap wood and Osage you don't but I can't find the determination on Oak for that.

Thanks

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: First self bow need help
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:12:47 pm »
I'd coat the ends and back if I was you.Reduce it and store it inside preferrably off the ground.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline okie64

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 10:35:41 pm »
Use the sapwood directly under the bark on any whitewood such as maple, ash, oak, hickory, hhb, etc. Work it down to 2" wide by 2" thick and keep it stored in your house for a couple months. After that, work your limbs down to 3/4" thick and let it sit another couple weeks. It should be ready after that. Keep an eye on it as its drying to make sure it doesnt warp.

Offline C1rcu17

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 10:46:41 pm »
Thanks a lot! I appreciate the quick replies!