Author Topic: where did all the goose feathers go?  (Read 3222 times)

Offline beartail

where did all the goose feathers go?
« on: September 11, 2015, 11:15:03 am »
I was just looking around and noticed that finding goose feathers is like trying to find chicken teeth. I remember some years ago every body and there granny had some. just wondern what up with that. You could also find peacock feathers. there was a fella in Chillicothe Mo who sold feathers. i lost his number but he was a swell guy. always had something you could use and didn't want a arm and a leg for it.its always "the good ole days" aint it?

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: where did all the goose feathers go?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 11:27:15 am »
Wild goose feathers are protected from sale or trade in the US. Perhaps there was a crack down on the sale.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:15:53 pm »
I was just looking around and noticed that finding goose feathers is like trying to find chicken teeth. I remember some years ago every body and there granny had some. just wondern what up with that. You could also find peacock feathers. there was a fella in Chillicothe Mo who sold feathers. i lost his number but he was a swell guy. always had something you could use and didn't want a arm and a leg for it.its always "the good ole days" aint it?

Custom Feather or Custom Fletching?  Yeah, nice guy to deal with, bought from him several times and never a problem.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 12:46:21 am »
Well if it's illegal I totally don't know a guy who is awesome to deal with and has really great quality feathers that are ground down perfectly.   ;D
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 08:00:02 am »
It's a non-issue if he raises the geese himself. If not, that may be why you can't find him.

I lucked out and found hundreds of molted feathers early this summer. I was walking along a access road on state game lands downwind of the swamps/ponds. The brush line along the road caught all the molted feathers that blew from the nesting sites just like a giant net. I'll be taking that same walk next summer for sure.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:20:04 pm »
I think it is June when the Canada geese molt. If you know any duck/goose hunters they usually throw then away and you probably could scrounge some from the trash can.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:32:36 pm »
I asked at least three goose hunters for wings last year. I got exactly zero. It's hard to get folks to do a little extra work sometimes.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 08:45:52 pm »
My neighbor shot 4 and gave me all the wings. Sorry your neighbor isn't as cool

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 01:26:35 am »
They're drinking buddies, which may be part of the problem.

Most of my neighbors are vegetarian pacifists who don't speak English(Nepalese refugees). At first it kinda bothered me, but I think I kinda prefer having that barrier. My prior neighbor Old Ed used to mow his yard strapped with a .357 mag in a shoulder holster cause there was a dog in his yard once and he wanted to be ready if he came back. Bear in mind, I'm in the middle of "the city". I suppose it could be worse, 20 blocks north there's shootings nightly.

Anyone know of 5-10 reasonably priced wooded acres for sale, preferably with a stream or a pond. House not necessary.  ;D
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 10:42:29 am »
Lots of land like that in NE Washington! 1K an acre seems to be the average price but I dunno of any chunks smaller then 14 acres. But if you come up ya gotta be my elk hunting buddy as no one else will.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 02:12:53 am »
An Elk hunt is something I've always looked forward to doing. Hunting Roosevelts in Yew country would be even better. I don't need to move to plan a hunt though. We were actually thinking of ending our summer propert scouting adventure in WA next year. When does the Elk season start out there, archery of course? I'd probably need to start on the bow soon if I want to get any practice in. :laugh:
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2015, 08:26:41 am »
I have a co worker that keeps me supplied in goose wings.  He just gave me the wings of 8 geese last week.  Last year he gave me about the same.  I plan to make him a knife this year.  I want him to know his efforts are appreciated so I can continue to be supplied. 

Mike