Author Topic: Birch bark  (Read 3205 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Birch bark
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:39:42 am »
I managed to bring home two nice pieces of birch bark from my last trip.  I have never had the chance to work with and learn about using it for projects.  I plan to make a couple of quivers using it as an outer cover and lining it with some hides I already have.  The bark has dried out and is stiffly curled.  How do I get it soft enough to form the shape I need for the quiver?  Can I just soak it, form it while its wet, and let it dry to hold the shape I need?  I really like the color and texture and want to make one inside out to show the golden inside.  Thanks for any help!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Birch bark
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 12:34:23 pm »
Joe, I think you can just soak it in warm water and it will become pliable again. Paper birch bark is really cool stuff. You can separate it down to one thin layer or use multiple layers. And yes, the inside is as cool looking as the outside.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:56:20 pm »
Joe, I never tried it but sounds like a plan with the water and soaking, and becareful smokin your pipe around all that highly flammable birch bark :o :( ;D Joe did ya happen to get that bark at the Classic? I saw a big pile of it somewhere that they were almost giving away, but can't remeber what event that it was at. CRS Bob

Offline jayman448

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 06:31:13 pm »
Steam will do er too

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 08:25:00 pm »
Bob:  I got the two pieces on a moose hunting/fishing trip to Northeastern Alberta.  I was told it would be taken away from me at the boarder, but nobody asked about it and I was just lucky they did not take it from me.  Our guide cut it for me from a freshly downed tree in an area where he got his bark for his moose calls.  I have some different hair on hides from Africa as well as some soft leather from deer, moose, and elk that would make a soft sound proof lining.  We have a really nice heavy and tall horned white tail in the yard this year.  He has forked brow tines and is the best buck we have had in the yard for a couple of years.  Joe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 08:48:35 pm »
Joe, just separate it into layers and when you use it try Tight Bond Glue thinned with water.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 07:15:20 am »
I saw a youtube video of an old man doing birch bark objects.
Dont remember the title and it was in an eastern europe language.
Every time he needed to ply or model the bark he putted it in boiling water for a minute
He used carefully scraped and thin birch bark layer.
You may need to let in water more time if you got thicker layers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:09 am »
Yep birch bark is cool stuff.Nice stuff to have around.Can be used as a skin over sinewed bows too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 07:50:35 am »
Joe I hope you post some photos of any project with the bark.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:16:23 am »
John:  It's probably a good thing that I can't post pictures on the site.  I hope to make one the these quivers for the Classic donations.  I am trying to decide what to line it with and am thinking some antelope skin from Africa or some leather from some local hides I already have.  Any opinions are surely welcome.  Joe

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 07:40:55 am »
Why line the whole thing.I would just line the inisde of the rim to quiet the arrow shafts shiting around.I used sheep skin.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 08:57:27 am »
Beadman:  I thought a lining would make the quiver stronger and a little bit safer against the rain they have at the farm.  I have made a lot of quivers over the years and know sooner or later they will be abused so just thinking the extra weight of a leather liner would let the quiver last a little longer.  Thanks for the reply!  Joe