Author Topic: Looking for a shotgun  (Read 5792 times)

Offline jayman448

Re: Looking for a shotgun
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2015, 10:15:10 pm »
revolver would do the wizard no good. too much extra certification to have a pistol in Canada and you cant carry it even if you do get the licensing. (must be kept in a locked case for transport to and from a shooting range only)

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2015, 09:15:16 am »
I can't believe I'll be the first to say this .... But ....

Remington 1100 12ga 2-3/4" .... No need for the magnum. The standard 1100 will cycle anything from clay loads to slugs every time as long as you keep it clean. I've never had mine fail to cycle on any hunting load, only target loads after hundreds of shots without cleaning. Cleaning is a 5min deal. People will tell you the gas system o-rings fail .... They are target shooters and yes 10,000 rounds will do that. The oring in mine is 30yrs old and has seen thousands of shells. Oring cost like 25c.

I also own the HR pardoner 870 clone in 20ga and you get what you pay for. It functions ... Enough said.

If you're into single shots, I have a Baikal Russian single shot, and for the $100 I paid the quality is quite good. Little blocky, but nothing a half round file, sandpaper and time can't fix.

Let's be honest, do you wanna defend yourself with 1 shell, or 5 shells?

With that said an 870 or 1100 is probably 8lbs minimum and a single shot is probably 6lbs ... So it's not a trivial difference if you're backpacking.

Lastly, and just a thought, if you're strictly concerned with protection in the bush, maybe a .22lr is a decent  choice. They're reliable with good ammo, ammo is cheap and light, and the guns themselves are cheap, small, and light.

Offline JEB

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2015, 10:13:21 am »
The OP does not want a hunting shotgun but one for protection and security  in the bush and that is why I suggested the very easy and quick to use double barrel.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2015, 11:21:46 am »
The OP does not want a hunting shotgun but one for protection and security  in the bush and that is why I suggested the very easy and quick to use double barrel.

What double would you suggest? I've only ever owned a Beretta 686 sporting that obviously I would never dream to drag through the woods. Just way too long, bulky, and thin walled in the barrels. Rugged is definately not the word.

Had a buddy who owned one of those short coach sxs which was quite handy.

As a broader point, and mind you I don't know the laws in Canada, but why not use a rifle? Marlin camp 9, or camp 45, m1 carbine, ar15 .... I guess that's really a question for the OP. Don't get me wrong I love a good shotgun, but a semiautomatic rifle is a whole different ball of wax.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2015, 02:09:10 pm »
There are tons of old breach double barrels with hammers floating around. Just look for some old sears brand. They are surprisingly bullet proof from what ive seen. Dont really need to have any specific model and make in mind, just the functions. People can spit model numbers at ya till your blue in the face. Just figure what functionality you want first and go from there. (Pump or breach or bolt, barrel length and cofiguration (if its over under or side by side), gauge, ability to shoot slugs, etc.)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2015, 05:09:06 pm »
I hunted hogs and Dove for years with an old Stevens 12 gauge side by side. Never had a bit of trouble with it and wished I never sold it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2015, 05:28:21 pm »
I would look for a good used one in the shortest barrel that is legal to carry.   

A short barrel double barrel can be carried easily in a back pack or an over the shoulder  sling while hiking your way thru the woods.  Like I wrote. I have two 870's and like them both but my favorite shotgun was my Stevens double barrel that my son confiscated.  Funny how that works!!!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2015, 01:29:48 pm »
Let's be honest, do you wanna defend yourself with 1 shell, or 5 shells?

With a single shot break action shotgun,i have as many shells as i care to carry.Its quicker to load that first shot and do it more quietly.They are much safer to carry around in the brush loaded,dont require constant cleaning to operate properly,can be much more easily field stripped for cleaning and repair and are lighter to carry around.With a bit of practice and training,you would be amazed at how fast a person can reload them.In a wilderness or bush wandering case scenario,ill take reliable in all conditions over fast any day.

As for a self defense weapon....
How many of you,have actually been in a serious self defense situation?how many of you have had to use lethal force to get out of that situation alive?

If you have,then you know,that in a real world situation,there is much more to self defense,then just standing in 1 spot,rackin and poppin off rounds.
If you stand by that attitude,then i say,someone has been watching too many movies and playing too many video games.Are there exceptions to every rule?In most cases yes,but i have to go on my experience and not by what other people theorize about.
And dont even get me started on the whole caliber thing.Ive has this debate with way too many people over too many years.

Now im not telling anyone they have to carry what i choose,or that they are wrong in that choice,but at the same time,dont be tellin me,my choice is the wrong one either.
PS...
I dont just own a single shot shotgun,so what does that tell you.LOL