Author Topic: Re-hydrating Dry Lumber  (Read 7920 times)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: Re-hydrating Dry Lumber
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:19:08 pm »
I made 6 or 7 white ash bows. All but one chrysalled.
It is weak in compression or I am weak in tillering. :)
Around here in NH the outside of wood gets to be about 5 or 6% but the inside is higher.
Wood will get into equilibrium with its environment anyway
That's unavoidable.
I agree with PD it is about the design and tillering.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 10:46:53 pm »
Interesting.To add the reason some limbs fret can be the design is good and the tillering is good but the design is too aggressive or stressful for the type of wood.Maybe that's a rehash of what's said earlier but it's one way I look at it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
Stickbowman and Pearl Drums nailed it for me.  Super dry wood becomes brittle and would fail suddenly rather than compression fracture slowly. 

And, while I agree totally that wood will, all by itself, settle in at a certain moisture content, i don't think you can neccisarily  completely expect all wood in the same geographical area to be treated the same.  what I mean is, say regarding your supplier, maybe he buiys ash from a different source, and it is cut, treated and shipped from somewhere else, and you are buying it before it really has a chance to settle in.  Or maybe his source uses a hotter kiln and dries their ash faster, and so damages it,.  Or maybe he keeps it in a different shed which is just slightly warmer, or gets more wind, and thus adjusts faster.  Or, something.  And since board bows are often bught and then made right away, ....... who knows.

Ash is NOT, despite it's hardness and numbers, as "good" a bow wood as woods of similar weights, I agree; like harder maple, white mulberry, and heavier elms.   But it isn't TOO bad.  Think wide and long, trap the back, toast the belly, etc.. and I bet you can do it.