Author Topic: new technique to me  (Read 3877 times)

Offline iowabow

new technique to me
« on: December 17, 2015, 11:48:55 pm »
I am always looking for new ways to knap with this ABO stuff. Today I came across a process and a perform configuration with a different approach. Rather than doing the main thinning side to side I worked this point tip to base. I left the preform more L shaped. This way we can edge to edge the corners as if they are points and run those ridge to center from tip to base. I really don't understand the potential fully but it is different and cool approach. My final pass will be edge to edge.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: new technique to me
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 01:22:03 am »
Clovis has a lot of tip to base thinning, and vise versa, in the biface and preform stages.  But you probably knew that.  You might also consider looking at "Early Triangular" points for a similar technique.

The "L" shape is a cool idea.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:05 am »
I have no idea what I am doing really Patrick I just triped over this idea last night. After I ran the side to side flake the tip to base or base to edge is now gone. The benefit to me was an even thinner point. And with a thinner preform I could use my finer tools. I made the handled tool years ago but never found a good place for its inclusion in my tool set till now.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:39:44 am »
Cool
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:47:06 am »
Wow.  Now you're making tater chips.   :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 11:00:24 am »
Thanks guys. Wonder if I can do it again.

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 11:09:43 am »
I've seen a lot of gains in your thinning lately. I'm betting you'll do it again.

BBPM

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2015, 01:44:08 pm »
That looks similar, kind of, to how quartzite and other tough stone is worked.  The natural tendency with a typical quartzite spall is to end up with a diamond shaped preform.  This is because it is so hard to get thinning flakes into the midle of the piece that the best approach is often to blast them in from all four sides at an angle that so they hopefully overlap in the middle.  So on your piece, you have that big flake at 7 or 8 o'clock.  On quartzite (or other tough stuff) the next move would be to sacrifice the top right corner to create a fairly heavy platform, then try to drive a flake at an angle toward the middle of the piece long enough to over lap the other flake.  Then the same thing is done with the bottom left corner, and viola, a diamond that with little modification is a Morrow Mountain point, or with a bit more work, a Savanna River.

I believe Steve Nissly uses a similar approach on tough Pennsylvania Ryholite and Argilite.

I agree with Stringman, you are really humming along!

Keith

Offline iowabow

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 07:45:04 am »
That looks similar, kind of, to how quartzite and other tough stone is worked.  The natural tendency with a typical quartzite spall is to end up with a diamond shaped preform.  This is because it is so hard to get thinning flakes into the midle of the piece that the best approach is often to blast them in from all four sides at an angle that so they hopefully overlap in the middle.  So on your piece, you have that big flake at 7 or 8 o'clock.  On quartzite (or other tough stuff) the next move would be to sacrifice the top right corner to create a fairly heavy platform, then try to drive a flake at an angle toward the middle of the piece long enough to over lap the other flake.  Then the same thing is done with the bottom left corner, and viola, a diamond that with little modification is a Morrow Mountain point, or with a bit more work, a Savanna River.

I believe Steve Nissly uses a similar approach on tough Pennsylvania Ryholite and Argilite.

I agree with Stringman, you are really humming along!

Keith
Keith thank for your input. This so cool to get this kind of information. I have never work quartzite and had no idea how you guys could make anything from it. It's this kinda back and forth of information on the PA fourm is really all about. Thank for the post kept it coming. I am sending you a pm
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 08:49:17 am by iowabow »