Author Topic: Shooting off the knuckle ?  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Shooting off the knuckle ?
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:23:23 pm »
Hi guys I'm just finishing up my first truly primitive bow Maple/sinew thanks to all the help from PA members & 1 particular member who I must have PM at least 50 times during the constuction  ,thanks guys for all the help , so I was thinking since I want to keep this bow basic that I would shoot it off the knuckle but other then shooting it that way during tillering shoot in I have no exsperience with it so I'm looking for some pointers ,do you use a nock on the string plus I have read about making some kind of indexing mark on the handle but plan on leaving this handle all wood the maple will clean up real nice and look good so any help would be welcome
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Shooting off the knuckle ?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:44:36 pm »
Most will find marks helpful in the beginning.   Shoot  the bow a few times and find where your hand feels the most comfortable and the handshock the least.   Make a mark right at the top of your knuckle ( where the arrow passes.)  You carve a mark in the wood or just mark with a Sharpie pen.  After you shoot a while the arrows will have scuffed the bow and created their own mark.  Once your hand placement is repeatable a nocking point on the string is helpful.  I like the idea of marking the nocking point with just a few wraps of bright thread.  That allows you to put the arrow in the same place, but also allows you to change your mind without moving the thread.   Seeing porpoising?...just nock above the thread instead of below, etc.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 05:21:10 pm »
If you do make a leather handle on the bow, your hand placement will be identicle. Then i would set a nock point measured from the top of the leather (where your top finger will be). P.s. make sure to sand your fletchings or peel them instead of cutting them or youll end up slicing yourself open. Or wear a shooting glove... or dont be a woos like i am xD haha

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 05:26:36 pm »
This is what I use on my bows now, Ferret's Floppy Rest. It's like shooting off your hand but protects your hand and gives a permanent arrow placement.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
make good arrows. if you shoot off your knuckle and your arrow bindings are high they will hurt.if your fletches have thick vanes itll cut your hand.i dont realy mark anything. after you shoot enough times youll find the sweet spot to nock your arrow on the string and youll know where that is by the wear spot. as for where to put your hand, just same spot everytime. wherever that spot is best for you. Tony

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 08:10:44 pm »
I usually shoot the arrow 1.25 in. above center but that can vary depending on tiller. Anyway, if I decide to rest the arrow on my hand the top of the leather handle  covering is where the arrow goes.
More often, I'll glue on a piece of leather for a rest.
It is a good idea to skyve the leading edge  of your  feathers. i also wrap mine with art. sinew or the real stuff.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 08:18:56 pm »
Good point Jawge.....wrapping the front of the feather.... ;)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline smoke

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:04:32 am »
I've been shooting off the knuckle for about 8 years now - never a problem. The only thing I do is to make sure I put a drop of glue on the front of each feather where it contacts the shaft to ensure it is smooth and will not catch my skin or glove.  I almost always shoot bare-handed except in the coldest of weather.  good luck!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:00:31 pm »
one thing nice about shootin of the knuckle is that it is easy to move the arrow up and down until you hit the sweet spot where the bow shoots best,,,
also,, it enables you to shoot the bow were it feels most balanced in your hand,,

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 04:55:45 pm »
if the fletchings cut the hand, you can nock higher and maybe grip the bow lower..

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »
I second Ferret's Floppy Rest!
45# at 27"

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:33:28 pm »
Taper the front end of the quill, then add that drop of glue to the juncture of quill and wood.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine