Author Topic: shoot shaft quiver  (Read 2245 times)

riverrat

shoot shaft quiver
« on: January 11, 2016, 10:18:36 pm »
a while back i posted a pic of a quiver i was working on. anyhow all i had was shoot shafts. you know how it is, cut a hundred end up with 25 or so arrows? lol well, i finally have it done except for a strap. which im planning on using deer hide if i get one this season. its a strong design. actually easy to make. as long as you can find some shoots, some nettles, and some pine sap and a chunk of charred wood....you got a quiver....well except for that strap. :) Tony

riverrat

Re: shoot shaft quiver
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:21:46 pm »
indigo and mulberry shoots, stinging nettlefibers weaving it all together, a maple plug for the bottom , and pine pitch to glue the plug in. and eventually a deer skin strap....i hope.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 09:32:13 am »
Nice Tony. Is the twine woven around the shoots?  When I was a kid we used to make dining table place mats with tightly rolled magazine pages bound together similar to this but left flat instead of making a tube.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

riverrat

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:06 am »
yes, at the onset you weave the cordage around the shoots at the center. it will be flat.then you tie the loose two ends. then i split some shoots so they bend like you would for split willow basket.i take one break it so its a little longer than i need to go around the tube and hold one end in place as i start to weave the cordage in and out the shoots and around the split piece.this reinforces the quiver. then i do this same thing at both ends then a few in between . i ended up with 7 outside supports. inside there will be two of these one at the top and one at the bottom of the quiver. these are wraped along with the top and bottom outside supports.then you need a plug. for the hole at the bottom. kind of like a bark quiver plug. well i had a maple branch in my firewood pile that looked like it would work so i cut a chunk off and when i removed the bark it fit pretty tight. i heated up some pitch glue and smeared it all over the bottom and sides of plug and slipped it in there. heated once more once it hardened and smoothed it out along the bottom and it was in there. once i got all 7 supports and the plug in it was pretty rock solid. i like stiff quivers like bark , woven, and now this type so i dont accidentally sit on my quiver and break or bend my arrows. im gonna rig something up so this quiver can be slung across the shoulders or below my left arm hanging waist high.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:53 am »
Cool riverrat.I did the same thing with dogwood and ash splits.I used 9 main shafts though.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

riverrat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:03:23 pm »
found a good deal on 7 sq. ft. of buffalo hide. it was uneven in thickness { 6-7 oz.} and had a few holes, and some areas the color was off a tad. but all in all a nice bit of buffalo. so i made my strap, while i was at it i made a bow case, and since i had some left im making a flint knapping pouch /kit to tie on to the whole thing and a arrow building pouch /kit to tie on as well. even have enough left for a pouch for my bow building knife. ya i use a knife to tiller. its all i ever used.Tony p.s. heres a pic so far......i can wear it accross my back diagnaly or,so the quiver is under my left arm. which makes it easy to extract arrows to shoot. the bow case hangs down past the ends of the quiver when the bow isnt in the case.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 04:06:39 pm by riverrat »