Author Topic: Cool/Cold Weather Hunting with Selfbow  (Read 6063 times)

WindWalker

Cool/Cold Weather Hunting with Selfbow
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:29:15 pm »
Ladies & Gentlemen,
Am new to the board and just getting back into bow hunting after a 15 year absence.
Am concerned about using a 50# (draw weight) hickory selfbow in our conditions of +20 degrees to -35 degrees below zero (F).
Does the moisture content in the wood present any unique problems after the bow becomes cold soaked?
Our HH Bow handled the weather without problem but can no longer draw a bow of 65lbs and therefore in need of a new bow.  (Not that one needs an excuse for a new bow; heh, heh.)
Respectfully request your advice regarding this matter.
Best Wishes,
WW
Sawmill Creek, Alaska
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 04:36:02 pm by WindWalker »

jamie

Re: Cool/Cold Weather Hunting with Selfbow
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:11:19 pm »
as long as the bow is acclimated to the temp you should have no problem. i hunt with hickory in new england where the temp ranges from 65 to -10 in the winter. bow gets sluggish in the high humidty and temps so i use a hot box to bring the moisture down. in the cold cold i just shoot it.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 06:14:22 pm »
The only wood I have heard of that sometimes gets brittle in really cold temps is yew.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

WindWalker

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your time and the advice.  Will proceed accordingly.
Best Wishes,
WW
Sawmill Creek, Alaska

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 08:22:08 am »
Don't get that cold in Tennessee but it dose from time to time get single digit's or around 0
Seems they get stiffer to draw in weather like that but It could just be cold muscles.Hot
humid weather I think is worse,so like jamie I use a hot box or AC duck when they need
drying out a bit.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

WindWalker

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 05:37:15 pm »
Mr. Pappy,
We had -20 below this morning as the sun came up.  Warming up a bit now but suppose to be cool tonight and tomorrow night at -30 below zero.
Appreciate the concern regarding moisture buildup.  Will have to study a bit more regarding "sealing" of the wood as frequently stay in camp a couple of weeks at a time with no opportunity for drying via hotbox, etc.; when it is raining during mosquito season.
Thank you.
Best Wishes,
WW
Sawmill Creek, Alaska

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 03:06:03 pm »
WindWalker, Read some of Jay Massey's books, if you already haven't. He spent lots of time hunting Alaska and in all conditions. You might get some insight into caring for wood bows in the extremes Alaskan environment. Jay used mostly sinew backed osage bows and one of his last, Medicine Bow, was sinew backed hickory. In the end, Jay used "Massey" finish; epoxy thinned with a solvent but early on he used French polish; linseed oil and shellac mixture, hand rubbed in multiple applications.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

WindWalker

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 04:21:34 pm »
Mr. Pat B,
Thank you for the advice.
Best Wishes,
WW
Sawmill Creek, Alaska